Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie 's Reviews > Torture to Her Soul

Torture to Her Soul by J.M. Darhower

PLEASE NOTE: This book picks up where Monster in His Eyes left off, it's not a repeat of the last book in Naz's POV, but a continuation. (hope that makes sense)

4.5 STARS!

So if you enjoyed the first book in this series, Monster in His Eyes, you would've been just as ecstatic as I was when you found out there was a second book. You can't even begin to imagine how happy I was when I realised Torture to Her Soul, was told solely from Naz's POV. In Monster in His Eyes, Naz was a mystery, his character seemed aloof yet he seemed to soften when he was around, Karissa (no pun intended)

I didn't set out to love her.
I didn't even plan to like her.
But it happened... we happened... and I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with that.

I got a front row seat to Naz's head in this book, the way he thought, his reaction to every hit he made, and lastly the way Karissa had changed him. Don't for one minute think that Naz has suddenly grown a conscious. He always gets the job done no matter the cost, with cold precision. But the whole dynamic changes when he's job begins to threaten the woman he loves. For the first time he begins to question the boss, and himself...

The street soldiers, cruel thugs who lie, cheat, kill, and steal, shy away, whereas little Karissa, half my size with barely any physical strength, never hesitated to stare me straight in the eyes, like she was reading my soul with just a glance.

In this story which is also the last book in the series, Naz and Karissa are living together. Naz proposed in the previous book and Karissa accepted but because of the events that lead to her father's death and caused her mother to live her life on the run, their relationship no longer feels as sincere as it used to be, well at least not for Karissa. She obviously still loves Naz, but the side he's shown of himself has also made her fear him. They barely speak, Karissa rarely even looks at Naz.
Naz won't let her leave.

She's just as fucked up as I am.
And maybe I did that to her.
Maybe it's wrong of me.
But fuck if it doesn't feel right this way.

This book was quite hefty, not too long but longer than other books I've read. So I think my only gripe with this book was I think the author should have taken about 20 to 30% of the beginning of this book and made it a novella. Reason being, while I enjoyed every bit of this book, the beginning or introduction lacked direction. It was just a lot of information and background about Naz, and also about Naz and Karissa's struggle to put what Naz had done behind them. So quite honestly this good have all been in a novella.

I'll give her anything.
I'll tear my fucking chest open with my bare hands, rip it out and hand it to her, if it's what she needs.
All she has to do is tell me.
All she has to do is ask.

So I'm trying to keep this review spoiler free and not tell you what actually happens. After being injured when leaving a club one night, Naz is forced to do something he never wanted to do, because doing it would hurt, Karissa. And with the increasing pressure from his boss and a leak in the midst, Naz doesn't know who to trust anymore. Can he trust the woman he loves, he finds himself questioning the organisation that has been there for him ever since he lost his family all those years ago.

My enemy was my enemy until I looked inside of her and realised we weren't so different after all.

I was very satisfied with the ending of this book, the dark intensity of Naz's thoughts was something I loved. He was broody, and at times almost obsessive in his love for Karissa. I love that in a hero. It was darkly romantic but did not lose the grittiness you get when you read a true mafia story.

I've said it before.
I'll say it again.
I'm not a good man.
I never will be.

ARC kindly provided by author in return for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torture to Her Soul.

April 29, 2014 – Shelved
April 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 19, 2014 –
1.0% "I am so ready for this!!!\n "
September 20, 2014 – Started Reading
September 21, 2014 –
69.0% ""You have no reason to be afraid. I'm not going to hurt you...nobody is." She stares at me for a moment before reaching up, covering my hand with her own. "How can you be sure?" "Because I won't let them," I say. "It's as simple as that.""
September 21, 2014 –
87.0% "Holy crap! I didn't see that coming!"
100.0% "Loved it!!!"
September 21, 2014 – Shelved as: thriller-suspense
September 21, 2014 – Shelved as: mafia
September 21, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: arc-or-netgalley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)

Alex I hate yo ass! :D

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Alex wrote: "I hate yo ass! :D"

LMAO!!!!!! LOVE you :P

Alex Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Mafia Princess* wrote: "Alex wrote: "I hate yo ass! :D"

LMAO!!!!!! LOVE you :P"

Happy reading! <3

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Alex wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Mafia Princess* wrote: "Alex wrote: "I hate yo ass! :D"

LMAO!!!!!! LOVE you :P"

Happy reading! <3"

Thanks, hun <3

Arpi !!!getting high on books!!! christine!!!!! This is in Naz's POV!!!????RIght :D:D Please say yes and end my misery ...Please Please Please

message 6: by S.M. (new) - added it

S.M. West Enjoy doll! I can't wait for this.

message 7: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Did you like it better then the first part?

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Ilze wrote: "Did you like it better then the first part?"

Yes I did, Ilze :D But I've always preferred male POV to female. Yes Ignazio is a lethal, sexy etc but when you read his POV you realise how broken he is ;) it was really good!

message 9: by Lucia (new) - added it

Lucia Yya, so glad it was 5 stars read, Christine :) Cannot wait to read it myself!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Valeriealmighty wrote: "So it's basically the same story but from Naz's pov?"

No, it's the continuation of the story. This book picks up where the last book left off.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Lucia wrote: "Yya, so glad it was 5 stars read, Christine :) Cannot wait to read it myself!"

Yep, absolutely loved it, Lucia :D hope you do too!

message 12: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi Ooh, I can't wait to read this one! :)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Brandi wrote: "Ooh, I can't wait to read this one! :)"

You're gonna love it, Brandi :) hopefully lol!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Lisa™ wrote: "I can't wait to get my hands on this! I've been stalking the author's facebook page since I read Monster."

It was really good, Lisa!!! Hope you enjoy it too :)

message 15: by Makhda (new) - added it

Makhda WOW.
5 stars?
I can't wait to read this one..^^

Jennifer Kyle So excited fab images <3

ღFloღ the coffee addict Wonderful visuals. Can't wait to read the review. ;D

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooooo....yummm >:D

Laura I. Can't. Wait. I also can't wait to see how Naz's mind works. He was very mysterious in the first book. I always wondered what he was thinking.

❀ Crystal ✿ - Is this going to be the last book?

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Is this going to be the last book?"

(view spoiler)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Makhda wrote: "WOW.
5 stars?
I can't wait to read this one..^^"

4.5 Stars but yes :D

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie ღFloღ the coffee addict wrote: "Wonderful visuals. Can't wait to read the review. ;D"

Jennifer wrote: "So excited fab images <3"

Thanks guys, <3

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Kat Stark wrote: "Oooooo....yummm >:D"

LOL, Naz is pretty yummy :P

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Laura wrote: "I. Can't. Wait. I also can't wait to see how Naz's mind works. He was very mysterious in the first book. I always wondered what he was thinking."

You're gonna love this book then ;)

Rachel Reads Ravenously The short review is already cool! I look forward to the longer one :)

message 27: by Amber Rose (new)

Amber Rose Fab review, Christine. ♥

TheTwistedSister Love love love so jealous you have already read tths. I want it sooooo bad. Great review and honestly I'm really glad that it didn't have any spoilers I would have been tempted.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Rachel (Reads Ravenously) wrote: "The short review is already cool! I look forward to the longer one :)"

Thanks, hun ;) It's still short though :P

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Amber Rose wrote: "Fab review, Christine. ♥"

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie MrsBrandy wrote: "Love love love so jealous you have already read tths. I want it sooooo bad. Great review and honestly I'm really glad that it didn't have any spoilers I would have been tempted."

Awww it'll be out in no time! September 29 is around the corner ;) and thanks btw♥

message 32: by Nina (new)

Nina Great review, Christine! I really want to start the first book now.

Vieira I can't wait to read this!!! Great review!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Minou wrote: "Great review, Christine! I really want to start the first book now."

Thanks, Minou♥ I really enjoyed this series, I hope you do too :)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Vieira wrote: "I can't wait to read this!!! Great review!"

Thanks, Vieira!!!

Christine Love your review! Made me want this book more than I already do!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Christine wrote: "Love your review! Made me want this book more than I already do!
Thanks for keeping the review spoiler free...it's just enough of a tease for me!"

Thanks, name twin lol! I hope you enjoy it when you do read it!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ wonderful review Christine!

message 40: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Awesome review Christine!

Debbie♥ love my Ducks♥ Great review! Can't wait!

message 42: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Beautiful review & visuals!! <3 xx

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Fab review babe! I picked up the first book today since it's on sale ;)

message 44: by Saffron (new) - added it

Saffron Lovely review Friend! have the first book. so hopefully will read this series soon :D

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Wonderful review babe!!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Fab review Christine.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Jackie wrote: "Awesome review!! So excited to read this!!!"

Thanks, Jackie xx

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Wellsie wrote: "Awesome review without giving too much away!!! I'm so excited for this book!! Monster in His Eyes was by far one of my favorite reads this year. I can't wait to get my Naz fix in just a few days!!!"

Thanks, Wellsie!!! It was really good, I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie ✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ wrote: "wonderful review Christine!"

Thanks, Sharon!!!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Beverly wrote: "Awesome review Christine!"

Thanks so much, Bev!!!