Heather McCoubrey's Reviews > French Toast

French Toast by Glynis Astie

bookshelves: 2014-reading-goal

French Toast, the second book of the French Twist series by Glynis Astie, was a delightful book. I really enjoyed getting to know Sydney and Louis. French Toast was written as a stand alone novel, but I really wish I'd read the first book before I started reading the second. While you could read the second book and understand the story, I felt a bit cheated by not knowing the history of the characters - it was almost like walking in on a private joke.

The mishaps and issues that crop up for this poor couple made me laugh out loud many times. I could easily put myself in Sydney's place while planning the French wedding...I know next to nothing about French customs and could easily imagine the horror I'd feel when told about hideous outfits I'd have to wear. Another thing that I could relate to was how confused Sydney was when dealing with her French relatives. The language barrier must have been horrible, but not knowing the customs - it's easy to imagine I'd feel as if I were being hazed as well.

Sydney and Louis' struggle near the beginning of the book was well-done, in my opinion. You could feel the tension, the resentment, the depression and you knew it was real for them. Sydney's obsessive questioning of herself about whether she'd done the right thing, whether their marriage would survive - they were all great questions and so real to how people react today.

I look forward to reading Book 1 and Book 3 - way to set the readers up for bombshell, Ms. Astie!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Toast.

April 28, 2014 – Shelved