Zeek's Reviews > The Battle Sylph

The Battle Sylph by L.J. McDonald

Mar 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: chick-fantasy, fantasy-rom, pnr, kindle

In the world McDonald created, warrior Slyphs (creatures similar to faeries I believe) called Battle Sylphs, are enslaved by brutal trickery, tying them to men of the upper ruling classes. When the King decides it’s time for his weakling of a son to have a battle sylph of his own, something goes awry during the ceremony binding the creature to a helpless female instead.

Solie has no idea the turmoil she’s created by just surviving- all she knows is that something has irrevocably connected her to a fearsome battle sylph and that she is helpless to resist the creature she has inadvertently named Heyou. Still, the attraction she feels frightens her and she runs back home to escape the strange feelings constantly assaulting her whenever around him.

Heyou doesn’t know much, but he knows this- he cannot leave the beautiful girl he left his home to find. But a brutal attack and almost certain death at the hands of other battlers will separate them, only to bring them back together to create a new world where one girl will rise to rule- whether she wishes to or not.

I became excited as I started this story, because there is nothing I enjoy more than romantic tales in a classic fantasy setting. The instant chemistry between the H/H combined with the fact the author is not shy in her descriptions of their heated encounters, left me almost giddy with the thought of a new series to be enraptured by!

Only to be plummeted to earth by the silly heroine Solie becomes. It seriously annoys me to have to say I would call this an excellent romantic fantasy novel if it weren’t for the immature lead characters Solie & Heyou (yes, his name is Hey You), written as if from the pen of a teenager.

Made queen of the sylphs by sheer accident, Solie giggled and stammered her way through this book till I wanted to scream- “You’re a Queen, woman! Show some backbone and regal grace for crying out loud!”

And how does she become Queen of the World??

By having sex. Yeah. You heard me. All powerful queens are made by mating with the warrior sylph she loves. ::rolleyes::

Then, THEN, because she’s got some influential hooha I suppose, these all powerful warriors are so enamored with her, they turn into slobbering fools, following her around lusting and molesting her for all to see, hanging onto her every stammered word, and obeying her orders just because… well, just because!?

Very VERY bothersome.

And yet…

The plotting and action were so tense, so edge of your seat, that I was racing to get to the end to see how the epic battle of good vs. evil McDonald sets up would conclude!

That's right, despite her immature characterizations, McDonald manages to create such engaging good vs. evil battles, they rival any popular fantasy novel out there! Top that off with allowing the reader to have the payoff they deserve - all I can say is... I'm hooked! Yep, I'll be coming back for more-

I only hope Solie grows up before I see her again.

I'm struggling how to grade this-If I was grading on characterization alone, I would give this book a 2 out of 5- but because it ends up being a thoroughly entertaining read- I'm gonna go with 3.5 out of 5. Probably more than generous, but I'm sticking to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle Sylph.

March 3, 2010 – Started Reading
March 3, 2010 – Shelved
March 3, 2010 –
page 94
29.1% "...sexy AND classic fantasy? I'm in! I'm sensing I'm gonna have another series to follow!!! :P So far so good ..."
March 11, 2010 –
page 150
46.44% "Hmm, I like the book so far- but I agree with another reviewer- author's writing seems a little immature, despite the subject matter!"
March 15, 2010 – Finished Reading
May 23, 2011 – Shelved as: chick-fantasy
May 23, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy-rom
May 23, 2011 – Shelved as: pnr
October 4, 2011 – Shelved as: kindle

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Excellent review, Zeek. Thanks for the warning!

message 2: by Sans (new)

Sans Great review, as usual. Shoot. I was really looking forward to this book but a pansy heroine really puts me off. Here's hoping that, like you, I end up enjoying the action more than being irritated by the lead.

Zeek Sans- I forgot to mention in my review that I think she did a better job with the side characters... but that's probably because they were more mature. I'll be anxious to see what you think!

Anna Your review absolutely hit my own feelings towards this book. I don't even need to write an own review anymore, because you mentioned everything I eeeeever wanted to say about this book!

Zeek ha! Just saw your comment ann- stupid GR not notifying me! :(

Anna Ahh, that's OK! I just wanted to tell you how much I liked your review! :)

message 7: by Zeek (last edited Aug 18, 2011 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zeek :D
always glad to hear a "me too!"

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
C. S. Lewis

Zeek and yes, I got that from GR quotes! ;)

Anna that's a very nice quote and sooo true! need to remember this one for later use ;)

message 10: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara I felt the same way about this one...

❀angela I don't think the sylphs were inspired by faeries, but rather by bees. I mean, they're from a "hive" after all. Anyway, honey bees have one queen in their hive and she becomes a queen by mating with a drone. So yeah, by having sex...but that's how it is. And I think Solie is a little silly because she was raised as a simple farm girl.

message 12: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Phew.. thanks for saving me from reading this one. It sounds like I would have hated it.

Diana Felt the same way, too. It's sad because I really liked the history of those Sylphs