Luke Burrage's Reviews > Watchmen

Watchmen by Alan Moore

bookshelves: comic-book, recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, ebook

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #234.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watchmen.

April 28, 2014 – Started Reading
April 28, 2014 – Shelved as: comic-book
April 28, 2014 – Shelved
April 28, 2014 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
April 28, 2014 –
8.0% "Finished issue 1. It's very good so far. Quite engaging. If I still like it after issue 3, I'll see about buying the whole thing."
April 29, 2014 –
16.0% "Issue 2 is also very good. I'm normally not even remotely interested in super hero comics, but this take is still somehow fresh and intriguing, even though I can now see how every postmodern look at the genre from then on has drawn from this work heavily. I love the idea that the costumed vigilantes are all fucked up in some way (fascist, rapist, self-publicist, pervert, etc)."
April 30, 2014 –
24.0% "Issue #3: I really enjoy how this is about the end of super heroes (retirements, deaths, defeats, exiles), not the origins."
May 1, 2014 –
32.0% "Issue #4: totally blown away by this part. Just amazing. I've seen similar things attempted in written fiction before, but in comic form it works way better."
May 3, 2014 –
40.0% "Issue #5: Good to be getting on with the main story. I'm loving the wood/human/shark raft technology."
May 7, 2014 –
50.0% "Issue six! Half way through! Good story telling, but I really want to get on to the main story again. Why so much back story for these characters if they're not going to do some good stuff?"
May 16, 2014 –
58.0% "So... sex in a pod? Not sure I prefer that over more backstory, to be honest."
May 18, 2014 –
66.0% "Issue 8: Okay, NOW the story seems to be under way. I'm just nervous that we haven't had Ozymandius's back story yet, and before he comes into it (to whom I'm sure Night Owl and Rorschach are heading now) we'll get a full issue about him, interrupting the flow once more."
May 19, 2014 –
90.0% "Issue 11: So I was wrong issue 9 would be the Ozy back story. We had more from Silk Specter 2 on Mars. Then some plot. And THEN we got to Ozy. For the most intelligent man in the world, his plan sure sounds stupid!"
May 20, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2014 – Shelved as: ebook

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jamie Great review.
May I suggest another glance at chapter 5,fearful symmetry?

You mentioned the first and last image are the same,or at least a mirror image.
Look closer,the whole episode is mirrored,the colour scheme and much of the imagery reads the same backwards meeting at the fight scene in the middle.
It makes me wonder what other querks are hidden.

Luke Burrage Moidelhoff wrote: "Great review.
May I suggest another glance at chapter 5,fearful symmetry?

You mentioned the first and last image are the same,or at least a mirror image.
Look closer,the whole episode is mirrored,..."

Yeah, I noticed that when I did the "display all pages" view, after that bit of the podcast. There are similar things in many other issues.