Diana's Reviews > Cry No More

Cry No More by Linda Howard

Mar 03, 2010

bookshelves: audiobooks, favorites, romance-suspense, soa-review, featured, narrator-win, re-listen
Read in April, 2017

Narrated by Joyce Bean

While I don’t hesitate to call Cry No More Linda Howard’s most heart-wrenching and powerful book, its painful subject matter means it’s not one I’ve listened to as frequently as I’m wont to do with Howard favorites. Relistening in preparation to write this review, I gained new appreciation for the intuitive interpretation narration skill subtly employed by Joyce Bean to great effect. It would have been easy for a less experienced narrator to overplay the plight of heroine Milla Boone. So right up front, kudos to Joyce Bean for a pitch perfect performance. I’m going to do my best to write this spoiler free for anyone who hasn’t read Cry No More because the way Howard doles out the story is pretty darn brilliant and kept me on tenterhooks right up until the epilogue.

Milla’s wunderkind surgeon husband David is doing a year of pro bono work in a small Mexican village and their idyllic life consists of David’s work and Milla’s joy in new motherhood. Tragedy strikes in an instant and without warning when Milla’s newborn is snatched from her in the sleepy village marketplace. She fights for her baby, gouging out an eye of one attacker before she is felled with a near fatal knife wound.

Ten years later and divorced, Milla’s every waking moment is devoted to running Finders, the volunteer organization that came to be as a result of her phenomenal success in finding other people’s lost and stolen children. James Diaz, a shadowy character with a fearsome reputation, agrees to help Milla. He is impressed with Milla’s single-minded quest to discover what happened to her stolen son Justin. Diaz is also convinced that Milla has been “handled” and misdirected by powerful people who put no limits on what they’ll do to keep their secrets and he’s just the man to uncover the truth.

I highly recommend Cry No More even though it’s a given that you’ll cry buckets. Dark and tragic themes beyond baby selling abound and Howard and Joyce Bean take us through the powerful emotions Milla must deal with as she faces terrifying moral questions and impossible choices. While they chase the truth, a soul deep love born of her pain and his need to soothe that pain blossoms between Milla and Diaz. Diaz’s tender care of Milla when she needs him the most makes him one of the most profoundly romantic heroes I’ve ever met.

Joyce Bean’s reading leaves no doubt that she gets it. When I was an audiobook newbie I listened to quite a few of Bean’s narrations and now that I’ve got a more finely tuned ear, I appreciate her even more. She’s a consummate pro and her reading of Cry No More is exactly right for a story that doesn’t need enhancement but a narrator who feels it and knows exactly how to share it.

Review appears at Speaking of Audiobooks at All About Romance

See my audiobook reviews at Blue Moon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry No More.

04/09/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by willaful (new)

willaful Great review, Diana.

Diana Thanks, Williful. I gird myself for this weep fest at least once a year. But then I feel better after releasing endorphins.

Brittany B. Love love love this book.

Diana Listened to it again for the first time in a few years. Still the best.