Liralen's Reviews > Falling Hard

Falling Hard by Megan Sparks

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, ya, z-2016, run-baby-run, reviewed

Cute—girl moves to new country; girl discovers cheerleading and roller derby at the same time; shenanigans ensue. It's all pretty low-stakes drama: there's some family stuff and some mean-girls-at-school stuff, but Annie maintains a reasonable head on her shoulders.

The one thing I really would have liked to see here: Annie tries out for both the cheerleading squad and the roller derby team, and she's forced to choose between them pretty quickly (a choice made easier by the fact that one team is evil and one team is nice). I'd have loved to see more balance or, better yet, see Annie spend some/all of the book trying to do both and learning the ups and downs of both.

One nit-picky note: The paper money was easy enough to sort out with their numbers, even though they were all the same size and color. But the coins were a nightmare. Annie felt like she was dealing with play money when she looked at them. She couldn't understand why the five-cent coins were larger than the ten-cent ones. It made no sense. (41) Annie's talking about American money here—she's English. But has she not seen, oh, British money before? Where the 1p-2p-5p-10p-20p-50p-pound coins go small-big-small-big-small-big-smallbuthefty? (Yes, I just lined up a bunch of coinage next to my computer to make this point.) And where, yes, the 5p coin is smaller than the 10p coin...but the 20p coin is also smaller than the 10p coin.

But as I said, that's just nit-picking. Will probably read the rest of the series the next time I'm at my parents' (as their library has the books), because, you know, roller derby.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Hard.

Finished Reading