Jeremiah Gumm's Reviews > Getting to Know the Church Fathers: An Evangelical Introduction

Getting to Know the Church Fathers by Bryan M. Litfin

Litfin provides an excellent primer for the study of ancient church history. He examines the life and work of 10 figures from the Ante-Nicene through Post-Nicene eras, provides suggestions for further study, and a sample of their writings--all while writing in a popular, engaging style. While I did have some quibbles with some of his theological conclusions, I still think this book is a great resource to have.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting to Know the Church Fathers.

April 28, 2014 – Shelved
April 28, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 16, 2015 – Started Reading
August 7, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim B I also enjoyed "Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers" which I received as a promotion for the Ancient Christian Commentary by Intervarsity Press. It helped me sort out the map of which early Christians wrote from which viewpoint. I first became interested in reading the ancients when I read Eusebius' history of the early Christian church and discovered the joys of reading the works of early believers with whom I shared faith in Christ and trust in the words of Scripture.