Lady Vigilante (Feifei)'s Reviews > Monster in His Eyes

Monster in His Eyes by J.M. Darhower

3.5 stars!

description

This book was one of my impulse reads and even though I knew there was a good chance I’d end up not liking it based off my picky tastes, I read it anyway. I guess my thoughts for the book could be summed up with three questions. Did the book wow me? Not at all. Did I enjoy it? To a certain degree, at least I have more positive thoughts about it than negative. Will I be reading the next one? As soon as I’m finished with this review.

**********************

Told entirely from the heroine’s POV, this book is the story of how a twisted and unlikely love develops between two characters who couldn’t be more different. Karissa Reed is an 18-year old seemingly average college student. She has all the characteristics of a teen: idiotic & vapid are two that top the list. When chance encounters (turns out they weren’t so random) place her in the path of the (anti) hero Ignazio ‘Naz’ Vitale, her world is turned upside down.

description

What really saved the book for me and compelled me to continue reading was Naz’s character. The man is an enigma, and since the story was told from Karissa’s POV where I only got bits and pieces of him, Naz was shrouded in mystery most of the time, creating an edgy aspect to his character. I think it was a bold move on the author’s part in regards to the couple pairing: Naz is twice Karissa’s age. So understandably, it’s obvious that Karissa is much more immature than Naz and comes off as childish in both thoughts and actions so I really didn’t warm up to her character. But when the two of them were together, holy cow, they burned up the sheets! Totally H-O-T!

description

The author’s writing is beautiful and at times poetic and Naz’s character was great. However, the story wasn’t compelling enough for me not to find the time and room to nitpick on some things. For starters, does Karissa have any other classes aside from philosophy? It seems like her mundane routine consists of: eat, sleep, have sex with Naz (or go to some fancy restaurant) and go to philosophy class. Repeat. While this book is mainly character-driven, the background setting has to be somewhat logical for me. Outside from their smoking hot sex scenes, Karissa and Naz had absolutely zero chemistry. The story is told in a chilling, almost mechanical manner so it left little room for any romantic atmosphere possible, and with the heavy insta-love present (because they fell in love in a few weeks through eating and watching movies) I was left shaking my head and rolling my eyes many times.

It’s really a wonder that I even liked the book, I know. But the lovely writing combined with Naz’s brilliant character, a little twist, and the ending was enough for me to enjoy most of the book and motivate me to want to read the second one. I especially love it when the author stays true to her characters, like Naz being unapologetic about his actions.

description

Monster in His Eyes is book 1 in a 2 part series and can technically be read as a standalone. The end of the book wraps up in a way where reading the next one is optional unless you want to satisfy your own curiosity. Which I want to so off to the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster in His Eyes.

April 27, 2014 – Shelved
April 27, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 28, 2014 – Started Reading
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: i-trust-my-friends
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: dark-reads
September 28, 2014 –
100.0% "I liked this one more than I thought I would! Didn't wow me and that heroine drove me insane but I liked it :)"
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: alpha-heroes
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: oops-let-s-do-it-again-romance
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: panty-dropping-hot
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: therapy-can-t-save-your-ass
September 29, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)

message 1: by Sim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sim I can't to see what you think of this book.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Sim wrote: "I can't to see what you think of this book."

Oh wow! 2 stars from you? I hope this one is a goodie for me. This author hasn't let me down yet :)

message 3: by Sim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sim It could me, though. I have found that timing is important with reading too. If I just finished an epic read, I tend to be more critical. I am still wandering from book to book after my last 6 star read!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Sim wrote: "It could me, though. I have found that timing is important with reading too. If I just finished an epic read, I tend to be more critical. I am still wandering from book to book after my last 6 s..."

That makes sense! Well my last book was a 2 star read so I'm hoping this is better!

Jennifer Kyle Gorgeous review Feifei!!

Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen Beautiful review sweet cakes! xo

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Jennifer wrote: "Gorgeous review Feifei!!"

Thanks Jennifer!! <3

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) wrote: "Beautiful review sweet cakes! xo"

Thanks honey!! (hugs) ♥

Rachel Reads Ravenously Very eloquent review Feifei :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Rachel (Reads Ravenously) wrote: "Very eloquent review Feifei :)"

Thanks Rachel! <3

message 11: by -ya (new) - rated it 4 stars

-ya I agree with everything you said !! I hope the sequel will be a good one. Fingers crossed;)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Ya~亞 wrote: "I agree with everything you said !! I hope the sequel will be a good one. Fingers crossed;)"

Me too!! Going to start it soon :D

message 13: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Awesome review, Feifei!! xx

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Debra wrote: "Awesome review, Feifei!! xx"

Thanks Debra!! ♥

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lisa wrote: "Fantastic review, hun! :D"

Thanks Lisa!! :) ♥

message 16: by Anja (last edited Sep 29, 2014 11:37AM) (new) - added it

Anja Fab review, Fei! ❤ Beautiful art!

message 17: by Eda** (last edited Sep 29, 2014 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eda** Glad you liked it Fei, well, at least parts of it ;) Great review!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Fantastic review, Babe!!! I also didn't warm up to Karissa in this book! Well put <3

.Karéz. Fabulous review, Feifei! , agree with you! The reason I kept reading this book is because of NAZ!!! :D

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Fab review, Feifei!:)

message 21: by Didi (new) - added it

Didi Great review Feifei! Hope the second book is better :)

Christy Lovely review, Feifei! xo

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Great review friend!

Mysza Terrific review Fei! Glad you enjoyed it:)

aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 - Great review Feifei, hope you enjoy the 2nd one too :)

message 27: by Lola (new)

Lola Great review, Lady!! :)

message 28: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Montoya great review my friend, hopefully the second book will WOW you… xo

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Anja wrote: "Fab review, Fei! ❤ Beautiful art!"

Thanks Anja! <3

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Eda** # Deacon Bruce's kitten # wrote: "Glad you liked it Fei, well, at least parts of it ;) Great review!"

Lol me too ;) Thanks!!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Mafia Princess* wrote: "Fantastic review, Babe!!! I also didn't warm up to Karissa in this book! Well put <3"

Thanks for the heads up about her babe! xoxo

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Karéz wrote: "Fabulous review, Feifei! , agree with you! The reason I kept reading this book is because of NAZ!!! :D"

Thanks so much Karez! ♥

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Arianna wrote: "Fab review, Feifei!:)"

Thanks Arianna! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Didi wrote: "Great review Feifei! Hope the second book is better :)"

Me too! Thanks so much Didi xx

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Christy wrote: "Lovely review, Feifei! xo"

Thanks Christy!! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Great review friend!"

Thanks friend! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Mysza wrote: "Terrific review Fei! Glad you enjoyed it:)"

Thanks hon! xoxo

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) ✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ wrote: "great review Feifei!"

Thanks Sharon! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) aksana - 4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 - wrote: "Great review Feifei, hope you enjoy the 2nd one too :)"

Thanks friend! Looks like we're on the same page with this one...are you going to read book 2?

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lola wrote: "Great review, Lady!! :)"

Thanks Lola! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Dee is Lee's girl (Black Lies) wrote: "great review my friend, hopefully the second book will WOW you… xo"

Me too!! Thanks babe! :D

message 42: by Pam (new) - added it

Pam Love the review, Feifei :)) I just got this one today and hope to read it soon!

Beverly Awesome review Feifei!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Pam wrote: "Love the review, Feifei :)) I just got this one today and hope to read it soon!"

Thanks so much Pam! Happy reading :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Beverly wrote: "Awesome review Feifei!"

Thanks Bev! We are so on the same page with this one xx

CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD Fantastic review Feifei... xx

Jasmine Terrific review Feifei! ♥♥♥ I just read through two chaps and read where she's in her philosophy class LOL. Thanks for the heads up that apparently she doesn't attend other classes LMAO! I'm just excited mostly for Naz now ;)

Enjoy the next book! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD wrote: "Fantastic review Feifei... xx"

Thanks Casper! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Jasmine wrote: "Terrific review Feifei! ♥♥♥ I just read through two chaps and read where she's in her philosophy class LOL. Thanks for the heads up that apparently she doesn't attend other classes LMAO! I'm just e..."

Jasmine Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Bahahaha she's always in that one class I swear! I'm a third into book 2 and not really liking it that much. It's not going anywhere :/ "

Ruh-oh =\ Just saw your latest update! Well that sucks when a sequel under-performs :( And even more when the heroine is still an idiot. Hope it'll somehow get better for you! ♥♥

« previous 1