Ellanor's Reviews > Frankie's Place: A Love Story

Frankie's Place by Jim Sterba

Nov 16, 2007

bookshelves: maine

I gave this book a five because I know the place and love it-Sterba for me has captured the very essence of summer on Mount Desert Island, family and friends. It was very personal-we have walked the same walks, hiked the same climbs, ran out of fuel in the sound or beyond Bakers, gotten lost in the fog on the way home from a night picnic or dinner at Islesford, dealt with neighbors and other dogs and we all buy our tools (and marriage licenses) from Buddy Brown where we compare garden notes-no one can compete with those dahlias, we drank milkshakes at the apothocary, we knew Mr Stanley and Main Street before the great fire that took out the movie theatre-not to be confused with the fires of '08. This was a very special book for me-as I hold it I will always remember being given a copy to read by Bill Foulke in return for a lift to Mt Desert after we found ourselves stranded at Logan on a Friday night in July in the last rental car in all of Boston. We drove with my sister in law Emma, Jamie Gowan and a another friend of a friend listening to the Red Sox play the Yankees on the radio-sort of like the old days, just like Mount Desert.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankie's Place.