Yaholo's Reviews > The Five Vows: Raising Your Spiritual Commitment to the Next Level

The Five Vows by Michael Maciel

bookshelves: contemporary-mysticism

The Five Vows by Michael Maciel is subtitled “Raising Your Spiritual Commitment to the Next Level.” But don’t misunderstand, this is not a book about monasticism. Instead, it is a book about living intentionally and with purpose (hence: vows) from within. Ultimately, it is a wonderful “gateway drug” to the world of mysticism and the internal spiritual life for those who have dwelled mostly in the outward shell of religion.

Finding a Compass

The transition from living externally; holding oneself accountable and restricted to external rules and rituals, to living internally; being lead and discipled from the spirit within, is an awkward transition for many. The brilliance of The Five Vows is that Michael has taken five most familiar pillars of the religious world, and walks the reader through understanding how they apply to the path of inward spiritual maturity.

These five vows are humility, service, purity, poverty, and obedience. All of those words have often been used to enslave the spirit of humanity under sanctimonious contexts. That is why it is so refreshing to be reminded and instructed as to their powerful transformative nature in growing us maturity toward the spiritual freedom of which Christ spoke.

Applicable and Instructive

Michael is skilled at explaining spiritual disciplines, often only understood as experiences. He uses parables, stories, and rather interesting application of movie Terminator 2. It is one thing to define “humility” it is another thing to help someone understand what it actually FEELS like, how it changes our behavior, affects our outlook on the world, and changes our habits. In this way The Five Vows does the work of a skilled and experienced spiritual guide, and brings practicality to works are so ambiguous in our culture today.

Obedience for the Win

If you are wanting to “vet” The Five Vows, I recommend reading it backwards. Chapter seven (out of eight) covers the topic of obedience. In my opinion, of all the five topics covered, obedience is the most misunderstood in Christianity today. Michael knocks it out of the park and explains the difference between the kind of sanctimonious obedience which holds us captive to a false ideal, and the empowering obedience which comes from having the courage to follow the spirit and convictions within us.

Conclusion: Spiritual Maturity 201

The world is still starved for good material on actually growing in spiritual maturity and transformation. The Five Vows is a perfect example of mysticism at its best and most practical manifestation. We have so many books telling us what to believe, yet so few instructing us in how to BECOME. Michael Maciel shows that seeing the spiritual life as a journey of exploration, yet also having a purpose and direction are not mutually exclusive.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Vows.

Started Reading
April 27, 2014 – Shelved
April 27, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 29, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary-mysticism

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by cynthia (new)

cynthia jones I took these vows when I very young, with a Holy Order in the 70's that has long since disbanded. I have come to understand that the commitments come from within, not to any organization. The vows are part of my life now, and I live without belonging to any group.