Jennifer's Reviews > Dawn

Dawn by Octavia E. Butler

I have many questions. Nothing to do with the book, but with myself. What I mean to say is that the book has created this intense inner dialogue. You know, where suddenly you find yourself speaking out loud to yourself.

I love aliens. No, I don't LOVE aliens. I love the idea of aliens. I am terrified of aliens. We have created many images of what we think aliens might look like, and we have also created ideas of how we would react to them. While I love it all, from Arnie and his "Your one ugly son-of-a-bitch" to the famous bar scene in Star Wars and everything hanging out getting along and all kinds in between. And no, I am not forgetting Ripley. While reading this I had Bill Paxton's voice whispering in the back of my head "That's it ; Game over" . The point is I think in the end; we would react just like Lillith. I don't think we are really ready and many people just couldn't accept ALIENS if they did really happen. I am not talking about bacteria on Titan, but actual bi-pedal or however they might get around sentient species. I would like to put on a brave face and say "I am ready", but I think I would be curled up in a corner in denial like all my other fellow humans.I would like to say I could be like Lillith and come to an acceptance of them. She is kinda my hero and gives me hope.

I am not going to go on and on about the story. But I am blown away. With every bit of it. With the ideas that were presented. I am very uncomfortable with several aspects of it. Not in a negative, this sucks, etc kind of way, but more with putting myself in those situations and how does this make me feel ? I can understand all the reactions that happens in the book and I can see all points of view and none of them are wrong. Part of me is still freaking out.

And in the end I love Aliens. But I accept that I am xenophobic and am not going to trust anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn.

April 26, 2014 – Shelved
April 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 25, 2015 – Started Reading
September 26, 2015 –
0.0% "Enthralled. I think I might stay up tonight and finish it."
September 27, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Great review!

Jennifer Thanks Carmen. This was an intense read.

message 3: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Wonderful review, Jennifer! I'm adding this to my list of books to read.

Jennifer Donna wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer! I'm adding this to my list of books to read."

I think you would like it Donna.

message 5: by Dem (new)

Dem OK, Its definitely not for me Jennifer but great review. :-)

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Chaikin Sounds like you were really drawn in. (Octavia Butler again. She is suddenly everywhere). Enjoyed your review.

Derek I love aliens. And I'm pretty sure I would not be xenophobic. I'd do what Lilith did—and I still don't think it's right. The Oankali rob humans of everything that makes them human. Is that worth the saving of humanity?

Nancy I had to chane my rating to 4 stars from 3 this morning for the very reason that I actually woke up last night thinking about this book and the decision Lilith had to make. Would I do the same? Were the Oankali wrong to give without asking? So many questions and so much to think about and consider.

Jennifer Nancy wrote: "I had to chane my rating to 4 stars from 3 this morning for the very reason that I actually woke up last night thinking about this book and the decision Lilith had to make. Would I do the same? Wer..."

Why change it to a 3 rating? I mean for me, if it makes me ask questions about myself, I find that powerful. Whether you "liked" the story or not. For me, that is a powerful book.

Jennifer Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "I love aliens. And I'm pretty sure I would not be xenophobic. I'd do what Lilith did—and I still don't think it's right. The Oankali rob humans of everything that makes them human. Is that worth th..."

I have no idea. Would humanity really survive. It seems we are hell bent on killing each other off.

Nancy I changed it to a 4. Originally I gave it a 3 because I enjoyed it. But then I went back and changed it to a 4. A book that woke me up in the middle of night after I finished it and made me think deserved one more star.

I am really liking Adulthood Rites as well.

Jennifer Nancy wrote: "I changed it to a 4. Originally I gave it a 3 because I enjoyed it. But then I went back and changed it to a 4. A book that woke me up in the middle of night after I finished it and made me think d..."

OOPs. Read that wrong. I had to read all three one after the other.

message 13: by hIpnoticraQs (new) - added it

hIpnoticraQs I'll be moving this higher up on. My reading priority list. Thanks!!