Melissa 's Reviews > Fever Crumb

Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve

Mar 02, 2010

bookshelves: read-in-2010, teen-dystopian-future, teen-action-adventure, teen-sci-fi, with-reviews, first-reads, teen-steampunk
Recommended for: fantasy fans, sci fi fans, fans of the Hungry City Chronicles
Read from March 17 to 28, 2010

Fever Crumb is the only girl in the Order of Engineers. In fact, she was raised by a member of the order, Dr. Crumb who found her as an infant, and deemed that it was only rational that he raise her. So fever has learned to be rational, to think like an engineer, and assist Dr. Crumb. When an archeologist by the name of Kit Solent request that Fever help him on his current dig, things for Fever change dramatically.

Meanwhile to the north of the city a movement of nomads threatens London agitating the people and setting everyone on edge. In a city where suspicion and fear run rampant, Fever is an oddity and a throwback that reminds people of the Scriven, the cruel rulers that the people of London overthrew a few years back. When she becomes the hunted, she must find a way to secure safety for herself in an unpredictable world.

I haven’t read the Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve, but this book is just the enticement I needed to encourage me to do so. After reading Fever Crumb I want to know more about the remarkable world Reeve has created in his previous books where whole cities travel from place to place swallowing up smaller cities and villages in their wake.

Fever Crumb is a treasure trove of fiction. Reeve’s character are well constructed and well rounded. I even find myself liking one of the potential villains Bagman Creech. The author’s descriptions and world building is fantastic. You can feel the paranoia of the common people, as well as the fear, corruption, and instability of their government. London was waiting to riot again and Fever is an unintentional catalyst for a dynamic chain reaction.

Well written and enjoyable. I can’t wait to go out and read Mortal Engines now that I have finished Fever Crumb!

ARC recieved from Scholastic via Goodreads First Reads.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Crumb.

03/29/2010 page 336