Robert's Reviews > One of Us

One of Us by Tawni O'Dell

bookshelves: netgalley, robert-s-reads

If you look up the term cold-hearted bitch in the dictionary, you’re liable to find a picture of Scarlet Dawes. She has evil figured out so well she could suck your soul out of your body from three feet away. And then she’d kick your decaying corpse with her stiletto heel while carrying her Gucci purse. She’s so evil that her mom resorted to the gin and tonic years ago (heavy on the gin light on the tonic), and her dad was born without a soul, and there’s an empty void where his heart should be. I bet their Christmas cards are wonderful.

Dr. Sheridan Doyle knows how to fill out a pair of high end jeans and Cole Haan loafers and finish up the ensemble with a tailored coat. But he also still hasn’t completely outgrown his awkward phase now that’s he back home, and dealing with more than a few of his own demons. He’s a strong, confident man who still has a little boy lingering underneath his covers.

By dividing the book in sections and including multiple perspectives, I really started to feel like one of the family, even if the clan was a bit demented, and would probably eat my heart and liver with a spoon. The pace was more of a slow, heated burn, like sitting out in the Pennsylvania sun for two hours too long in the middle of August. And my West Virginia roots appreciated the mining subplot and small town background. ONE OF US offered up plenty of enjoyment, even if it managed to produce a few nightmares in the process. So grab your sleeping pills and sunscreen because it’s liable to be a bumpy ride.

I received this book for free through NetGalley.

Cross-posted at Robert's Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Us.

April 26, 2014 – Shelved
April 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 26, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 6, 2014 – Started Reading
August 16, 2014 – Finished Reading
August 25, 2014 – Shelved as: robert-s-reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Robert Not sure how I feel about the GONE GIRL comparison. But, otherwise, I'm looking forward to checking this one out.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim I didn't make it through Gone Girl. I disliked both characters & found the situation underwhelming & grotesque. Up to the halfway point, it was awfully predictable, so I just quit.

Robert Jim wrote: "I didn't make it through Gone Girl. I disliked both characters & found the situation underwhelming & grotesque. Up to the halfway point, it was awfully predictable, so I just quit."

The characters were certainly high on the unlikeable scale. I felt she did a strong job with the twists she implemented, though.

message 4: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Delacerda Love your reviews!

Robert Wanda wrote: "Love your reviews!"

Thanks Wanda!

message 6: by Lynda (new)

Lynda No matter what mood I'm in, a Robert review is always guaranteed to put a smile on my face. Great review!

Robert Lynda wrote: "No matter what mood I'm in, a Robert review is always guaranteed to put a smile on my face. Great review!"

Thank you Lynda! That's good to hear.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael I've enjoyed two of her other books, so it is great to hear this one shook you up and spit you out in good form. I like the coverage of rural mining communities.

message 9: by Robert (last edited Aug 28, 2014 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robert Michael wrote: "I've enjoyed two of her other books, so it is great to hear this one shook you up and spit you out in good form. I like the coverage of rural mining communities."

You have an excellent way with words, Michael. I agree. I'd like to see more rural mining communities coveraged in fiction. But then I'm biased.

message 10: by Margitte (new)

Margitte You just inspired me to buy this book. It has been done!

Your opening paragraph was arresting! And of course I ventured off to the book blurb, and then decided you were right. It is a book for cold nights, dark corners and a nice warm fire. :-)

Robert Margitte wrote: "You just inspired me to buy this book. It has been done!

Oh crap. If you don't like it, does that mean you'll cross time zones to track me down?

Seriously, though, I'm glad I captured your attention. I figure if you can't hook 'em in the beginning, you're probably not going to in the end.