Lindsey's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

bookshelves: children-s-literature-2360

I absolutely loved this book! The simplicity of Langston Hughes' poem "My People" is stunning. As a photographer I was especially interested in the photographs that were used in the book. The portraits of African Americans visually represented Mr. Hughes' poem with such beauty. I would most definitely use this book in my future classroom. Because the photographer of the book, Charles R. Smith, Jr., wisely used a wide variety of African American models for this book, it would be very easy for some students to relate text to self. He used African Americans with varying shades of skin and people of different ages to celebrate the heritage. For the same reason, those students who are of a different race may easily be able to relate text to world, because they have African American neighbors or friends, or watch cartoons or movies with them in it. As a teacher I would use this book to have students relate text to text during a multicultural unit, black history month, or Martin Luther King day. I don't necessarily want to only celebrate different cultures in the classroom on it's "assigned" month or day, so maybe I would use this during the first few weeks of school when all the children are getting to know one another and use it with books about friendship that the children can relate through acceptance and treating people with respect and fairness.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading