Jamie's Reviews > Funny How Things Change

Funny How Things Change by Melissa Wyatt

Mar 02, 2010

bookshelves: 14-16, strong-setting, romance
Read in March, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This is definitely a book I'd like to hear a teen's perspective on. Because as an adult, I had a tough time not wanting to tell the character what to do. And this is not a problem I usually have. Clearly, Lisa was not the girl for him, and maybe where it's telegraphed (like at the family reunion where the "wife" hates the small W. Va. town) seemed a bit heavy handed to me. Going to PA with her would have been a DISASTER.

However, I did like that the ending wasn't TOO pat, and I loved the West Virginia setting, where my husband is from (that family reunion was too spot on) with one exception. There is no Dwyer, W. Va and there is no McGuire County. There is a Beckley, and a Bluefield, and a Martinsburg. I wish she had picked one of the many small towns. No one would probably care about this except for people who know WVA small towns, but I always like to find my setting on a map, and I didn't like having to make this up. My deal, I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Funny How Things Change.

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily P. In the acknowledgments, the author thanks Welch, WV. And if you look on the map, it fits as far as the other places she mentions. Also, there is a highway 16 and highway 52 that intersect in Welch. In the book, it looks like the author transposed the numbers and made them 61 and 25. Too much to be a coincidence?

I didn't find the made up town a problem since writers make up places all the time. And I had read the author's previous book, where she made up an entire country.