Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > What I Thought Was True

What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick

did not like it
bookshelves: unfinished

Holy crap, just tell me already what the freak happened with Gwen and Cass! At halfway through, not telling the readers what literally everybody in the novel not only knows but that affects all their actions and reactions is just being coy for the sake of coyness. Even worse, you've bracketed the core event with flashbacks that make Gwen look stupid and irrational in the present. So essentially, the author is counting on keeping my interest despite a bitter protagonist who we can see has badly misjudged someone who is genuinely good and interested and she holds that grudge despite every evidence to the contrary. Because I like spending time with stupid, bitter people holding irrational grudges?

And here's a clue for authors: if your protagonist is continually acting based on an event in the past, and dwells on it endlessly, then tell the readers what the crap happened already! Sheesh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Thought Was True.

April 26, 2014 – Shelved
April 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 5, 2014 – Shelved as: unfinished

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Hallie (new)

Hallie I got a sample of this over the weekend and *still* couldn't decide whether to read it or not, so thanks for saving me the frustration. (Khahn's liking it so much seemed as if it should make it worth reading, but I trust your opinion more!)

Jacob Proffitt Hallie wrote: "I got a sample of this over the weekend and *still* couldn't decide whether to read it or not, so thanks for saving me the frustration. (Khahn's liking it so much seemed as if it should make it worth reading, but I trust your opinion more!)"

Her liking it so much is a big factor in why I picked it up, actually. Should have paid more attention to Wendy Darling's DNF...

Heather omg yes! that was so infuriating! I hate when authors drag things out. just tell us!

Jacob Proffitt Heather wrote: "omg yes! that was so infuriating! I hate when authors drag things out. just tell us!"

Right. It's bad enough when it's something relatively unimportant or that doesn't affect the plot much. But this was central and dominated the plot.

Heather I agree! the whole plot basically centered around it. &there was no point in keeping it from readers. it didn't keep my attention; it irritated me!

message 6: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Maloney 100% agree. I probably will finish it as I'm already almost halfway through, but it's driving me crazy (and not in a good way) to have this supposedly huge thing that happened and is constantly being alluded to but never explained. It leaves me feeling like this is the 2nd season of a tv show that I missed the first season of.

Jacob Proffitt Jennifer wrote: "It leaves me feeling like this is the 2nd season of a tv show that I missed the first season of."

That's an excellent description. Yes, it was a lot like that.