Deborah O'Carroll's Reviews > The Ankulen

The Ankulen by Kendra E. Ardnek

19951545
I didn't know what to think of this book when I started it. I'd never read anything like it before. The first ten percent I wasn't sure if I was going to like it... but then the story got going and I ended up thoroughly enjoying myself for most of the book. It's about a modern girl who used to make up stories all the time but mysteriously seems to have lost her imagination eight years ago... This is the story of how she went into her imagination to try to reclaim it. It surprised me by being a lot of fun.

The imagination world was cool. As a writer myself I enjoyed all that sort of thing about characters and worlds and so forth. A lot of the things in the imagination world were so cool -- the glowbeetles, the way the land moves around, the dream castles, etc. It was simultaneously original and the sort of cliche-on-purpose that's laughing at itself in a delightful way at the same time, and just great fun to read! I had a splendid time, and I loved how the world could have these little "plot holes" and the like, but it didn't matter; because it was made up by a kid, and it was just for fun. I just LOVED that and the whole setting!

I didn't like the stuff in the modern real world as much -- it felt like it didn't quite mix, especially the mom. The book became fairly heavy on the Christian allegorical aspect in the second half or so, which surprised me for some reason because it came out of the blue for me. Sometimes it didn't mesh real well for me and felt forced, which was annoying. But some if it was really good and enjoyable and illuminating. So... I'm mixed on that. Also the typos and such were super distracting for me.

The first half or so of the book, I really disliked Jen, the heroine (the book is in first-person, which may have contributed to that for me, since I'm not the biggest fan of that mode of writing). But I started to really like her in the second half! Which surprised me. But I really did. She was suddenly fun and a little humorous and... I liked her. I also loved her interactions with her characters--haha! The other characters in the book were fun; my favorite was Derek. He had some great dialog, and I liked seeing him grow. I guess he's one of my favorite kinds of characters. :)

Basically, if you want a rollicking, whimsical, rather humorous story, especially if you have some experience with writing or your own imagination, and a bit of an allegory to deepen the edges of the fun, this is the book for you.

My overall feeling... Sometimes you want to read a book that's just great fun. And just have a good time with a sort of silly tale that you don't need to worry too much about it making sense. Whimsical fun. That's what this book is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ankulen.

April 25, 2014 – Shelved