Amy's Reviews > Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

2082678
Mar 01, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy-adventure, magic, romance, young-adult-fiction

My rating is highly influenced by loss of sleep— not lack of sleep that leads to delirium but by the fact that I actually choose to loose sleep in order to keep reading each night. If I were rating this book strictly on the craft and talent of the writer it would have easily been 5 stars. The highly propelled plot thrust the reader through peril and intrigue with hooks at the end of nearly every chapter. The scattered background details were submerged throughout the storyline creating depth without slowing the pace. Multi-dimensional characters developed and emerged with realness. The passages of description created believable settings and were enjoyable and not overbearing. This book had all the things I love about fantasy fiction: a feminine protagonist who learns to fight, an emergence of hope and self-confidence despite dreadful circumstances, magic, unexpected twists, and unlikely but hoped for love.

The only thing that brought my rating down was the content. There is a small amount of explicatives. There is also some vulgar torture and rape (although this is admittedly vital to her storyline). In addition, there is a transgender character that didn’t need to be. If these things don’t bother you, then this book comes with high recommendation!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Study.