Paul Bryant's Reviews > The Sexual Life of Catherine M.

The Sexual Life of Catherine M. by Catherine Millet

Mar 01, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: whats-all-the-fuss-about, lifestyles-of-the-weird-and-famous

I nearly want to reread this to see how she pulls off the remarkable feat of writing about having limitless unbridled ravenous multiorgasmic sex and making it duller than the weekly shop in Sainsburys and less erotic than funny shaped vegetables. "Oh look, dear - there's a two for one offer on lesbians this week." "Hmmm... we just don't have enough room in the fridge. And they look a bit wrinkly to me."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sexual Life of Catherine M..

Finished Reading
March 1, 2010 – Shelved
March 10, 2010 – Shelved as: whats-all-the-fuss-about
October 3, 2013 – Shelved as: lifestyles-of-the-weird-and-famous

message 1: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker I got a funny feeling you're not going to read the sequel.

message 2: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant There's a sequel? Let me guess... she has even duller orgies?

message 3: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker Well, um, no. I believe that she writes about her regrets and the heartbreak that comes from having dull orgies.

message 4: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant Ha - I wish I was heartbroken like that.

message 5: by Manny (new)

Manny Paul wrote: "Ha - I wish I was heartbroken like that."

You'd better be careful, or someone will write The Portrait of Paul Bryant. I'm trying to think what would be in the picture...

message 6: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant Funny shaped vegetables.

message 7: by Manny (new)

Manny Have you read Robert Sheckley's short story Cordle to Onion to Carrot? One of his best...

message 8: by Greenelander (new)

Greenelander Isn't the sequel about her jealousy at discovering that her husband had other sexual partners? Her theme might be: what's sauce for the goose is not always sauce for the gander, or for funny-shaped vegetables, for that matter.

notgettingenough I came upon this in my local bookshop recently, bit of research, definitely a no-no.

But I noticed this at the time: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/boo..., a review of the sequel mentioned by Greenelander.

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam She is always described in her P.R. and interviews as an intellectual. Is this because a sexual “intellectual” can’t be a slut, so the sex has more literary gravitas? (Though who wants gravitas ruining his or her sex?)

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant Depends. Is sluttiness no longer slutty if you're shagging hundreds of men for ideological as well as slutty reasons? I'm not sure the distinction is worth making. What does Germaine Greer say on this point?

message 12: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Four people on my friendslist have read this. I wonder if their veggies are lesbians. I personally suspect my melons.

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant Hmm, post a picture of your melons and we'll all scrutinise them.

Well, it's late here!

message 14: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye Paul wrote: "Hmm, post a picture of your melons and we'll all scrutinise them.

Well, it's late here!"

well it;s early here on the west coast of North America, just past 2:30 a.m. and through the miracle of GR just dicovered this hilarious thread. LOLROB

At this point I think I get it about slutty vegetables (they go with everything) and those poor stalwart intellectual women,trying to squeeze a passionate response out of their dessicated counterparts, having to make do with furtive gropings and random gardeners.

But who am I to judge? The most fun sex I ever enjoyed,and the most boring, was with a writer (different ones, both heavily published).
Demands more research, I know....

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Mariel wrote: "I personally suspect my melons."

They're known to cause meloncholy.

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard Could it be because they have too much apeel for their own good?

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye I would give generously to an apeel like that.

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard They just work on your emotions. There's no rind or reason to this.

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Sounds seedy enough to drive you nuts.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris thanks for the warning.

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Saw this in a charity shop today...checked out GR's reviews...after reading your review swiftly bought it.

Looking forward to my weekly shop (in Morrison, I'm afraid, not Sainsbury's), well according to you I should be more 'for it' after reading this one.

Thanks Paul ;-)

message 22: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant I hope I see your review soon...

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Not sure I'll get to the end of it. Suffered 20 pages last night and had to stop off at Aldi this afternoon which I enjoyed rather more :-)

message 24: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Bryant yeah, what is it about this book which makes it so unpleasant?

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Not sure I'll try and figure it out as I read later ... It's just dull, lacking in any real depth of feeling, emotionless ...it was obviously her intension not to write a titillating sex memoir but it's just like eating soggy sprouts !