C.G. Drews's Reviews > Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

bookshelves: magical-fantasy, read-2014, retelling, young-adult

So, as you know, I’m still (after all this time, always ) in love with Peter Pan. NATURALLY I knew I’d love this book. IT’S ABOUT PETER BLESS HIM PAN after all. And also my friend Zoe @ Infinite Readsforced-me-by-knife-point-to-read-it-or-else (and she’s awesome, so why not?!).

Did I like it? Um, let me think about this…HECK YEAH.

Of course, as you’ll notice, it’s lacking a star…so let’s jump right in and talk about the luuuurves and the dislikes, shall we?

The Deliciousness I Adored

- TIGER LILY. It’s by Tink’s perspective, but that’s basically a plot device so we can hop around everyone’s POV. We mostly spy on Tiger Lily the whole book – and gosh is she fantastic. She’s everything I love in a heroine. She’s wild and crazy and serious and doesn’t talk much. She loves her adopted father (Tik Tok) and she helps the losers of the village (like Pine Sap, who’s too spindly to be a proper “boy”). But at the same time, she’s like a stone wall. Gah, I love her. I loved how she fell for Peter. Which brings me to…
- PETER PAN. I admit I’m a bit surprised how he was written. He’s still ever inch the adorable fiend from J.M. Barrie’s version…buuut, this time he’s older and seems to be wiser. I missed the utter naivety of J.M. Barrie’s Peter. He broke my heart. Oh, Peter, how could you be so blind? I did love his dark side, though. (Doesn’t everyone like the dark side? Dark side = dark cookies. I’m pretty sure food is the answer to everything.)
- The emphasis on: be who you REALLY are. I loved this! I think it was subtle yet sweet and nice. The Indian village is rather sexist, which drove me insanely crazy. It doesn’t have to be this way, peoples! I liked how (in my personal opinion) the book underlined that true love isn’t about changing people.
- The writing! Absolutely delicious! I loved the flow of words and the gentle language. Although… I got annoyed at the amount of telling vs. showing. I felt that, especially towards the end, the book did a LOT of telling. I wanted to SEE the scenes, but we’re jus told they happened. So sad. Get me a tissue.

The Things That Made Me Frown
Note, these aren’t “hates” or anything. Just observations from a steadfast Peter-Pan-fairy-tale-lover.

- Why did Tink narrate again? Because she’s mute, we don’t exactly see ANY of Tink’s life. She’s merely a plot device so the book isn’t omnipresent or anything (because Tink follows everyone around). Plus everyone ignored Tink! It made me sad. I wanted to know more about the fairies.
- There was very little emphasis on the Pirates. This was HUGELY sad for me, because Hook + Pan is a fearsome and crazy sort of battle. I mean, fairy boy vs. psychotic pirate? What’s not to love?! Unfortunately, Hook and his wily crew rarely take the limelight.
- Neverland is an island in the sea. But…but…I prefer it to be a mystical and impossible country in the clouds. It didn’t make sense to have people sailing around the island from England and such, when we STILL had fairies and mermaids and no one in Neverland died of old age.
- THE DANG MISSIONARY PHILLIP. Ohhhh, he made me so angry! I think he underlined why missionaries, especially in those days, did more damage then good. What he told the Indians was pretty historically correct (God doesn’t love you unless you dress this way and eat these foods…etc.) but it was so WRONG. And Phillip destroyed a lot of things in the village. (view spoiler)

I’m absolutely in love with this book! For me, it had a few failings from the original tale (which I’m utterly in love with). I wanted to see MORE of Peter Pan and MORE of the magic of Neverland. But, you know what? It’s inspiring! It’s beautiful! I’m so stinkin’ glad I own this book.

What do I rate it?
4-stars. It’s really a 4.5, but I’ll leave it at a 4 instead of bumping it to the 5. I wish there was a sequel. WHY IS THERE NOT A SEQUEL?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Lily.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Jodi Lynn Anderson
“Sometimes I think that maybe we are just stories. Like we may as well just be words on a page, because we're only what we've done and what we are going to do.”
Jodi Lynn Anderson, Tiger Lily

Jodi Lynn Anderson
“For the girls with messy hair and thirsty hearts.”
Jodi Lynn Anderson, Tiger Lily

Started Reading
April 22, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 24, 2014 – Shelved
April 24, 2014 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
April 24, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
April 24, 2014 – Shelved as: retelling
April 24, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Brea Johnson Oh oh, I LOVED THIS BOOK!
I absolutely love how much darker and serious this is. And you're right about Tink, too! I almost completely forgot it was in her perspective until something was actually happing to her - which was't all that often.

C.G. Drews It was TOTALLY addictive. I just....gah. SO BEAUTIFUL.

message 3: by Cecilia (new) - added it

Cecilia If you like Peter Pan, you should check out Once Upon A Time (tv show in case you didn't know). It's brilliant and I am sorta in love with their Peter Pan, even though he's a villain.

C.G. Drews I'm absolutely stuck on Supernatural atm, buuut, afterwards I'm kind of planning to try OUAT. XD

message 5: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe "Forced-me-by-knife-point-to-read-it-or-else" Haha...yep, that pretty much sums it up! ;) Glad you loved it so much though! <33 Now that I think about it, it would have been nice to have a little more pirate action, but I think that's because the focus was on Tiger Lily's journey.

<33

C.G. Drews Only the best friends use knife-point to coerce others into reading books, right? XD YOU ARE THE BEST ZOE.

Larissa I loved this book and I'm so glad you did too c:

C.G. Drews It was absolutely beautiful. *hugs book*

message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Agreed. Phillp's storyline and how much he influenced those around him frustrated me immensely. I would have also enjoyed reading more about Tink's life.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Sam: We are definitely agreed on this. :D

Rachel's Book Reviews ALSKGLHALDSKfj.
I haven't read this yet. :P

Jasmina Do I need to know the world and the characters of this book before reading it since it’s a retelling?

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Jasmin: I think you can enjoy it just as a story on its own...but the original Peter Pan is SUCH a good classic!! Highly recommend. ;)