rahul's Reviews > A Fine Balance

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

bookshelves: favorites

As I scramble for words to speak of this book and even manage to get hold of some. I wait till they fall from my tongue into the depths of infinite hopelessness.

And someday, I hope these words will find me again. These words, these thoughts will help me accept the despair that is this thing called life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fine Balance.

Quotes rahul Liked

Rohinton Mistry
“Flirting with madness was one thing; when madness started flirting back, it was time to call the whole thing off.”
Rohinton Mistry, A Fine Balance

Rohinton Mistry
“…God is a giant quiltmaker. With an infinite variety of designs. And the quilt is grown so big and confusing, the pattern is impossible to see, the squares and diamonds and triangles don’t fit well together anymore, it’s all become meaningless. So He has abandoned it.”
Rohinton Mistry, A Fine Balance

April 29, 2014 –
page 300
April 30, 2014 –
page 310
50.49% "The incidents of the book happened 40 years ago.\n The book was published 19 years ago.\n And this happened yesterday :\n http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ci... \n The more things change, the more they remain the same?"
May 2, 2014 –
page 450
May 3, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 5, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Praj Isn't is sad or rather shameful thing to occur in the country that boast about its secular democracy.

I feel happy when someone reads Mistry. His works should be read more often than several other works of his contemporaries. If to me Hindi Lit. is synonymous with P.Munshi, then Indian(English) Lit. means R. Mistry! I hope you put up a review of this.

rahul I think Mistry is such a fine writer , writing about India. This book, has too much truth in it.
And a thought that keeps buzzing in my head is, how much we under estimate the apathy that the world at large has towards an individual.

Praj Another Mistry masterpiece that haunts you for days is Such a Long Journey. I'm thinking of a re-read.

rahul Yes, that too is in my to read list. Hopefully before the year ends.

Rowena I'll never forget this book, it's an absolute masterpiece.

message 6: by Samadrita (new) - added it

Samadrita Now I HAVE to read this one soon.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Rowena wrote: "I'll never forget this book, it's an absolute masterpiece."

rahul Richard Reviles Censorship wrote: "Rowena wrote: "I'll never forget this book, it's an absolute masterpiece."

An outstanding book. I'm happy to learn it's made such an impact on another reader."

Yea, Richard.
I am looking forward to reading other works of Mistry.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly a very poetic review. I hope you despair for a long, long time.

rahul Joselito Honestly wrote: "a very poetic review. I hope you despair for a long, long time."

Thank you, Joselito.

message 11: by Joey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joey This novel made me love Indian writers , Rahul ^^ In fact, it's one of my fave books. ^^

rahul Joey wrote: "This novel made me love Indian writers , Rahul ^^ In fact, it's one of my fave books. ^^"

Yes, it is a terrific novel. I only wish that more Indians read him which is not the case as of now.

message 13: by Joey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joey Even here in the Philippines, we have such tour de force novels reflecting the social issues; however, just a very few read them. A FINE BALANCE is a perfect good read for everyone if they want to understand the real soul of India.

message 14: by Joey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joey I will re-read it since it is one of my fave books. Alas, I didn't have enough time to share my thoughts then. ^^

rahul Joey wrote: "Even here in the Philippines, we have such tour de force novels reflecting the social issues; however, just a very few read them. A FINE BALANCE is a perfect good read for everyone if they want to ..."

It would be great if you recommend me some of these novels Joey. I have not read any literature coming from Philippines which I hope to correct.

Another book based out of India that I love is English, August: An Indian Story
It is a coming of age story set in India of Seventies-Eighties.

message 16: by Joey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joey Most of our good Philippine novels are written in Filipino. But if you want to understand our culture more, you can as well read DOGEATER by Jessica Hagaedorn. I will recommend some more one of these days.

I think Indian writers are remarkable. I would love to read their masterpieces more.^^ ^^

Dolors Heh, I actually felt the same way when I turned the last page of Rushdie's Midnight's Children, sometimes the best literature leaves us numb and speechless, doesn't it?

rahul Dolors wrote: "Heh, I actually felt the same way when I turned the last page of Rushdie's Midnight's Children, sometimes the best literature leaves us numb and speechless, doesn't it?"

Yup, Dolors. I need to read Midnight's Children soon. It is so long in waiting.