Ethical Cannibal's Reviews > Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine

Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry

U 50x66
Mar 01, 2010

did not like it
Recommended to Ethical by: library list
Recommended for: cooks
Read from February 15 to March 01, 2010

I was really excited to get this book from the library. Vegan food is a definite interest of mine, and seeing what someone else worked out to 'veganize' soul food sounded tasty.

The book does have recipes, some of which are good, but it was overshadowed by the story. Every recipe has a recommended song and movie. The author was striving so hard for a level of cool that I just don't have. I'm interested in food. Nothing else, but good food. All the rest of the stories, recommended music, movies, etc for every recipe was trying far to hard to be cool. It seemed just a little pretentious.

I did find a couple of the recipes to be good. That's what's important in a cookbook, right? The roasted plantain with roasted garlic-lime dipping sauce was a real hit in our house.

In all, though, I had a hard time getting past the trappings of extremely-cool to get to the actual recipes. I could have used less cool, and more discussion on the actual food, and better directions on the recipes. If I wasn't already a cook, some of the recipes would have had insufficient information to work with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vegan Soul Kitchen.

08/21/2016 marked as: read

Bryant hey there bud,

sorry to hear that you did not like the sharing of my story and recommending of music, films, and art that move me. as i stated in the introduction of vegan soul kitchen, my cookbook writing leans towards memoir. and i'm simply telling my story and suggesting cultural/artistic expressions that have played a role in my thoughts about health, food, and farming issues in hopes of inspiring you to make similar connections in your own life. don't know if a nerd like me will ever be cool. . .

best,

bryant

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Marie I'm so surprised and sorry that you didn't find more of the recipes fantastic. I loved the stories, like I love my Italian grandmother's stories! and I've found most of the recipes to be unbelievable...in fact my friends are blown away when I cook from this book. Hope you give it another try, well worth it and I don't give that kind of praise lightly.