Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Dangerous Girls

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Apr 24, 2014

bookshelves: read-in-2014, ya-for-grown-ups, girls-girls-girls
Recommended to Kelly (and the Book Boar) by: Lola
Recommended for: Fans of Megan Abbott/Gillian Flynn/Thrillers Full of Mindf*&^ery

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

EVERY STAR.

“Why was I so happy? My friend was dead. I should be sad. Was I happy she was dead? Did I secretly hate her? Did I have something to do with it? Did I do it myself? I did it. I had to. Maybe he did it too. Together. A pact. A game. Something sexual, fucked-up. Drugs and alcohol. Kids today. Where were our parents? Aren’t they to blame? Did he pressure me? Did I force him? I was happy. Why was I so happy?”

Those are the questions Anna must ask herself while sitting in jail while she awaits being tried for murdering her best friend. What began as a Spring Break trip to paradise, ended with Elise being found stabbed to death and Anna, along with her boyfriend Tate, being accused of committing the crime.

Please let me apologize in advance for what you are about to read because I have a feeling it’s going to get super rambly and might be a big mess by the time I’m finished.

I liked this book. A LOT. I liked it so much I did the crazy, post-it note marking of moments I wanted to make sure I remembered . . .

(and then I went to my kid’s baseball practice and all the other moms looked at me like I was a little “touched in the head” if you know what I mean). I have NEVER post-it noted a mystery/thriller because I liked it (but I have - quite often, in fact - post-it noted horrible parts of books in that genre).

Dangerous Girls grabs hold of you from Page 1 (seriously – Page 1 is a transcript of the 911 call reporting finding the dead body) and doesn’t ever let go. It has everything that makes a thriller thrilling – including a “ripped from the headlines” type of plot and an “everybody is a suspect” driving force that will just propel you through the pages. I read this book in 2 ½ hours. I COULD. NOT. PUT. IT. DOWN. The dialogue-heavy writing style and frantic pace made my reading speed become superhuman. And if you thought Megan Abbott could write terrifying teenagers? Well, honey, you ain’t seen NOTHING yet:

“Better to be a sneak, or a slut, or a narc, or a bully, than alone.”

“We want, we take, we have. It’s simple.”

So, after you get past the whole "this kind of has an eerie resemblance to the Natalee Holloway thing" and find your mind turning to the best of the worst evil high school girls . . .

it grows ever more delectable. Oh, and even if you think you know who did it, Haas will continue to fill you with doubts and make you question just how sure you are about yourself up to the final page.

EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that the "YA" moniker might be a deterrent in keeping people from reading this book. Please note that this is definitely not your average young adult novel. The characters may be teens, but the story is all grown up.

P.S.: I’m sooooo stingy with my 5-Star ratings, and the fact that Dangerous Girls could have easily racked up a 6 or a 7 in the mystery/thriller category from me had me venture out to the author’s website to see what she’s all about (http://abbymcdonald.com). Well, first, she’s adorable. I find an author who looks like her producing stories like this to be awesomely creepy. Second, and most important, as of July 15th of this year Dangerous Girls had only sold 450 copies - a number so low that the author’s next book (Dangerous Boys, natch) was rejected all over town, leaving her no choice but to self-publish. I’ve never gone to bat for an author before (Lord help me, Abigail Haas/Abby McDonald, if you turn out to be an asshole), but I’m telling you that if you are a fan of Megan Abbott, Gillian Flynn or books like Defending Jacob or We Need To Talk About Kevin, you seriously NEED to read this book. Buy it, get it from your library, whatever – just read it and spread the word. Good authors shouldn’t be forced into self-publishing due to low sales/feedback.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Girls.

April 24, 2014 – Shelved
April 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 25, 2014 – Started Reading
page 1
0.26% "Work and real life are WAAAAAY too busy for me to be starting this, but I'm doing it anyway . . . \n \n "
page 87
22.42% ""I would follow him anywhere."\n \n Ermagherd if he ends up being a Joran van der Sloot imma poop myself!"
page 203
52.32% ""Laters."\n \n \n \n BLECH!!! *dry heave*"
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: ya-for-grown-ups
September 26, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 16, 2016 – Shelved as: girls-girls-girls

TL So glad you enjoyed this! :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I loved this one..I didn't realize she had to self pub the next one..it's cray cray..this chick can write!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) TL wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this! :)"

Me too! I had no expectations going in and she just completely blew me away.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "I loved this one..I didn't realize she had to self pub the next one..it's cray cray..this chick can write!"

It was soooooo good.

Yeah, Dangerous Boys is $5.99 on Amazon. Already been boughten : )

Kaora Gillian Flynn huh? You convinced me.

message 6: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Sep 26, 2014 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Kaora wrote: "Gillian Flynn huh? You convinced me."

Closest I've seen - and I have read A LOT of books claiming to be like her stuff. This has everything - characters you love to hate - an ending you might love to hate - action - drama - fast pace - twists and turns. I hope you like it : )

Lola Oh, this story sure is grabbing. I think that first gif pretty much summaries it all, heh. Wonderful enthusiastic review!! :)

Kaora Nice! I was iffy because of the title. I kept picturing Dangerous Creatures.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Lola wrote: "Oh, this story sure is grabbing. I think that first gif pretty much summaries it all, heh. Wonderful enthusiastic review!! :)"

Thanks : )

(And thanks for bumping this to the top of my "to-read" pile for me!)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Kaora wrote: "Nice! I was iffy because of the title. I kept picturing Dangerous Creatures."

Oh God no! Brain bleach, quick grab the brain bleach ; )

Bad title, bad cover - gooooooood everything else.

message 11: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Smith Sounds like a great book!!!

message 12: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "I loved this one..I didn't realize she had to self pub the next one..it's cray cray..this chick can write!"

It was soooooo good.

Yeah, [book:Dangerous..."

I got Dangerous boys off book depository, gotta finish one or two of my others first though

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Sue wrote: "Sounds like a great book!!!"

It was. Highly recommend!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) TL wrote: "I got Dangerous boys off book depository"

Lola Have you read Dangerous Boys? :) I have but it's not as good as this one. Though it's pretty different.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Lola wrote: "Have you read Dangerous Boys? :) I have but it's not as good as this one. Though it's pretty different."

I bought it yesterday, but probably won't get around to reading it for awhile.

message 17: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "TL wrote: "I got Dangerous boys off book depository"

That's cool - her website said she was going to try to get it in paperback format."

Paperback's only in the UK from what I saw, not complaining since I only paid 9.81 for it :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

fantastic.review and.thanks for spreading the word!!

Liz* Fashionably Late Great review, Kelly (: I so want to read this one!

message 21: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic The thing about a good book review is, it's fun to read, no matter what book was reviewed. The same applies here.
Igor

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Liz and Igor : )

Paige  Bookdragon I just read your review (seriously, how did I miss this?) and I love it. If I haven't read this book yet, I would totally do it after reading this review :D ♥

Jennifer Masterson Terrific review, Kelly! :D

Tracie Payne This review is awesome. I loved this book.

Deanna This book really does deserve more recognition. I read it months ago and somehow missed your review.....which is fantastic... I love it. I still have to read Dangerous Boys at some point.
Great review!!