Gwynn White's Reviews > Republic

Republic by Lindsay Buroker

Apr 24, 2014

bookshelves: loved-it, 2014-reading-challenge, adventure, fantasy, magic, mystery, romance, steam-punk

I was given this book by the author for an honest review.

My problem is that I'm obsessed with this world, and the reasons for that are simple:
1. It's such an amazingly realistic, believable world,
2. the characters as so familiar and real to me that I enjoy being in their company so much.

My daughter and I were reading in a coffee shop and I kept embarrassing her by laughing out loud just about every time Maldynado stepped on the page. He is even funnier in this book than he is in the other EE books - and that's saying something.

In this book, set soon after the establishment of the Republic, the team, with the addition of Tikaya (whom I love) and Mahliki) are challenged by a variety of evils including a sentient plant! And what a plant that is. I loved every description of it and could visualise it perfectly in my mind's eye - it was almost a seventh hero in the plot (or rather villain) and I almost thought it needed a POV of its own!

As usual the rest of the characters are just wonderful and I loved getting up to speed with Sespian in his new life as a penniless student. But my favourite characters still remain Amaranthe and Sicarious. I could read anything with those two in it. Note to Lindsay: A series about their exploits in their new jobs would be very gratefully received . . . .

As one expects from Lindsay Buroker, the action in Republic is fast-paced, nail-biting stuff even with six POVs. It never lets up for a minute and there are constant twists and explosions (only a few of them could be blamed on Maldynado) to satisfy even my craving for action.

The is some romance in the book - low key, but there - and it was so sweetly done, adding a wonderful sparkle.

All in all, I loved this story and I am so not ready to leave this world. Please Lindsay, don't stop coming up with adventures for the team. In the meantime, it has inspired me to start the series all over again. I can't wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Republic.

April 24, 2014 – Started Reading