Marissa Pedroza's Reviews > Sneakers, Sandals & Stilettoes: Fairy Tales for the Well-Heeled Princess

Sneakers, Sandals & Stilettoes by Natasha Deen

19779831

it was ok

Sneaker, Sandals & Stilettoes: Fairy Tales for the Well-Heeled Princess sounded so original and refreshing that I couldn’t wait to read a romantic comedy that would make me laugh and go “ahhhh” at the end (kind of like when you look at baby pictures). Instead I felt myself saying… “WTF” quite a few times. For instance, for whatever reason I believed there would be more than two short stories; there isn’t, so it was kind of like waiting for all my gifts at Christmas and getting an Amazon gift card. Yeah, I could use the gift card, but I kind of expected more than that.

The first story is Genie’s Curse. This story was simply ludicrous. It wasn’t ridiculous because the heroine is turned into a dog for wishing “she were in Dillon’s arms”. It’s ridiculous because 1) her name is Agnes Frump (why not just call her Ugly Betty) and 2) when she is transformed back into herself in front of her “dream lover” Dillon, his reaction is “hey, how’s it going? So glad you’re not a dog anymore. Did you know I’ve always loved you?” I guess I should have been forewarned when the word Fairy Tales was used in the title, but the title also said for “the Well-Heeled Princess” and I don’t know any well-heeled Princess who would fall for that storyline (no pun intended).

The second story was Shoe In Love. Although I preferred this story over Genie’s Curse, there were some blaring flaws. For instance, the setting is 1984 fashion industry. I know this will age me, but I was there in 1984 and there was none of the mannerism or colloquialism of the era. There was none of the fashion. Why set it in 1984 if you aren’t going to incorporate these things? Yes, certain designers from the 80’s were mentioned, but who cares? Make me believe this story is taking place in the 80’s by the way the heroine walks and talks. And then there is the villain in both of the stories in this book. I think they are the same person, just with different names. What is it with women who think that the only thing stopping them from finding their true love is the plottings of the Wicked Witch, Ursula or Maleficent??!

As a current romantic comedy this book was okay; that it was FREE download made it a great deal. Would I recommend this book? Come on… it’s FREE. It’s a quick read and Shoe In Love actually had funny parts. Yes, I would recommend it, just lower your expectations for romantic comedy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sneakers, Sandals & Stilettoes.

Started Reading