Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > Phantom Thief Jeanne, Vol. 1

Phantom Thief Jeanne, Vol. 1 by Arina Tanemura

Apr 24, 2014

Still on my search for a second shoujo series to read, Library Wars being the only current one I follow. The publisher's blurb intrigued me here: art theft, demons hiding in paintings and a second Thief who comes along to compete with Jeanne. Once I started reading though, I found this description hardly did the book justice. Maron is the reincarnation of Jeanne d'Arc and has been given an angel who guides her in the God-given duty to replace paintings in which demons have been hidden to wreak havoc on those who own them. This is a great story involving the art world, some paranormal, a pseudo-Christianity theme along with crime and burglary. Then along comes a handsomely good looking classmate who ends up being another Phantom Thief only he wants to get the same paintings before Maron does. Thief Sinbad knows Thief Jeanne's real identity and they soon have a mutual romantic interest. While it appears Sinbad is the bad guy, I feel things may not be what they seem at this point. I loved the story with so many topics and themes, the romance was very light (just how I like it), with character and plot being more important. I already like the main characters and found the illustration to be very pretty. I'm hoping the next volume carries on in the same manner as this is an intriguing opening and is the most promising shoujo I've read in ages!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom Thief Jeanne, Vol. 1.

Started Reading