Kaethe Douglas's Reviews > The Silence

The Silence by Sarah Rayne

bookshelves: architecture, contemporary, creepy, fantasy, feminism, fiction, gender, ghosts, gothic, grief, history, house-as-character, music, mystery, parenting, romance, strong-smart-female-protagonist, uk
Read 2 times. Last read May 7, 2015.

Jume 13, 2013

Ah, there's nothing like a British ghost story, set in an old house with the electricity off, fires and storms, and comforting post-trauma cups of tea, to really delight on a sunny day in the 90s. Nell has received a commission from a great-aunt of her dead husband to take inventory of a family home before it goes on the market. She's there to roughly appraise the furnishings and bric a brac in her professional capacity as an antiques dealer. And, because it's a home her late husband visited as a boy, it's lovely to take along their daughter, connect a little with each other and the past.

My beloved MIL loaned this to me after she finished it, because we share the Rayne/Barbara Vine/Minette Walters reading strain that makes us fans of psychological mysteries stretching back into the past. Let me just say that she was disappointed not to learn more about the furniture and such. (Not me, because I'm more interested in architecture and building than in furnishing).

I love in unreservedly. There's the strong sense of place, the chilling horror on a stormy night, digging up the past in layers, a light smattering of very mild contemporary romance, skeletons in closets, nasty things in woodsheds, and past horribleness than one can fit into forty pages of revelations. There's also what I think of as the distinctly Mary Stewart trick of taking a break from the creepiness to enjoy a cuppa and a delicious meal. Fans of Edwardian children's fiction will also be pleased.

Library copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silence.

Finished Reading
June 12, 2013 –
page 106
42.06% "Atmospheric and ghostly."
April 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read