Jennifer's Reviews > Lean Mean Thirteen

Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich

Nov 16, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: fans of sure things, bad boys, and New Jersey
Read in November, 2007

Few things in this world are as consistent as a Janet Evanovich novel featuring Stephanie Plum. You know that the following will happen at some point in the story: you will laugh out loud at least three times (often more), Stephanie will have hot sex with Joe Morelli, Stephanie will think about the possibility of hot sex with Ranger, Stephanie and Lulu will find themselves in some embarrassing situations while trying to apprehend a bail skip (this 13th installment involves exploding taxidermy and a gravedigger who does taxes on the side), Grandma Mazur will either pack serious heat or get her hair dyed a color not found in nature, Stephanie will destroy a car (maybe two), Stephanie will feel torn between the two men in her life, the phrase "Ranger will kill me if something happens to you" will be uttered by at least one character (and maybe more), and no matter how crazy and dangerous things become, it will all turn out right in the end. In this crazy and inconsistent world, there is something comforting about this series which is why I've stuck with it for thirteen books. Though I will probably forget the plot of this latest installment in a few weeks (maybe sooner), that's not the point. The point is an hour or two of laughter and embarrassed recognition. Whether we live close to New Jersey or far away, we all have a bit of the Stephanie Plum in us. (Or maybe it's just me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lean Mean Thirteen.

06/07/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Julie I just picked this up at my library book sale because you and JH have talked about them. But I hate starting in the middle of a series - where do I start?

message 6: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer Start with "One for the Money." They are numerically titled just like the alphabet and Sue Grafton's books. I probably gave some good stuff away in this review (SORRY) but I don't think it hurts things much. Sara and I spend a lot of time trying to cast this movie.

Jenny

message 5: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Julie I skimmed your review so I wouldn't be spoiled. Also, my memory being what it is, I doubt I would remember it anyway. Except that there will be hot sex involved :)

message 4: by Julia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julia Fun! What kind of casting ideas do you guys have? Has it changed over the long time of the books release dates? At one point, I thought a Sandra Bullock type might be good (remember her in that movie about the Miss America knock-off--she did some good, physical comedy in that). I wonder if Estelle Getty would reprise a matronly role as Grandma Mazur? In my mind, she could be a short, spit-fire type.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie This is such a true comment - I have been going thru and rating these and can never remember any of the plots, just the fact that I laughed like hell while I was reading them. Though I do know that I want to boot Morelli and have Stephanie hook up with Ranger, though!!

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa You some the books up so well. They all do blend in to one but I love the humour. Have to disagree with Melanie though, - Joe would be the one for me!

Qbert I actually started with 22 before I realized there were so many more. I'd read 22 & 23, then went back. I love that you can really begin with any of them & the story wraps up by the end. Very entertaining reads!!