Brandi's Reviews > Night Terrors

Night Terrors by Tim Waggoner

it was ok
Recommended to Brandi by: Netgalley

So, we have this book right, and it’s pretty good and then all of a sudden you realize that it would be so much better if it wasn’t trying so hard. There is a fantastic premise, and I think even not knowing the author’s bibliography it’s clear that the man knows how to write, but this could benefit from being pared down to cut out the redundancy. When I get excited about a book at first only to realize a bit later that I'm not going out of my way to read it... that's when I see I've got a problem.

The story is about Audra and Jinx, her nightmare come literally to life, but he’s not all bad because the two of them are police in the land of Nod. They’re investigating another Incubus- the nightmares, but the case becomes a mystery that goes all the way up to the head honcho. Can Jinx and Audra stop a possible magical apocalypse or are they too late, or will Earth and Nod pay the price for their mistakes?

I love everything I just wrote- that is my kind of book! But. But… well, redundancy. I didn’t need to be reminded a zillion times that there were different Aspects (the day version and the night version of the monsters), or how “if x had been human that would have x, but since he’s an Incubus he’s fine” (this was possibly the most used and by far the most annoying). Those weren’t the only aspects of the story I felt were superfluous for the record- it was constant throughout the book. This very huge annoyance coupled with the inability to both relate to (and/or imagine myself as) Audra, or care about her plight, make this book less than what I’d hoped based on that synopsis and premise. It was ok, but not the mind blowing experience I'd hoped nor the easy entertainment I always enjoy.

I think this could work really well for a person that isn’t as critical and is more forgiving because it really is an interesting idea. There are no issues with pacing in my opinion and the descriptions of the Incubi were good. The book doesn’t end in a cliffhanger (can I get a hallelujah! ) though it does provide a nice segue into the next book in the series. If any of this seems like something you wouldn’t get hung up on then you should definitely try it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Terrors.

April 23, 2014 – Started Reading
April 23, 2014 – Shelved
April 23, 2014 –
5.0% "Whoa, did I pick a winner from NG? So far signs point to probably. CHEAH."
April 24, 2014 –
31.0% "This is nicely entertaining- I expect it to be a solid 3* most likely."
April 24, 2014 –
36.0% "I wish this wasn't trying so hard because it's really interesting otherwise."
April 24, 2014 –
51.0% "He raised his eyebrows. "Oh? Are you shipping us already?" Srsly?"
April 24, 2014 –
60.0% "It's frustrating how repetitive this is. Redundancy isn't a good plot devise."
April 26, 2014 –
April 26, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Redundancy drives me batty too (so do books that feel like they're trying too hard), and while I do find aspects of the premise intriguing, I'm not sure I can swallow the idea of a nightmare-come-to-LIFE as anything other than very, very BAD. This review, however . . . very, very GOOD ;)

Brandi Thanks, Jess! ^_^

message 3: by Hershey (new)

Hershey Great review!