Silver James's Reviews > Mystery Man

Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley

bookshelves: 2015-books-read, library, keeper, reread, suspense, audio-books, 2018-books-read, romance, auto-buy-series, 2019-books-read, reread-in-same-year
Read 5 times. Last read November 8, 2019 to November 10, 2019.

Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley Second 2019 re-listen: So...LOL I start a lot of my re-listen/read reviews this way. Yes, I know I just listened to this book back in February. But I was in a slump. Nothing on my radar clicked, and since I hadn't listened to the Colorado Mountain books or the Rock Chicks in a good while, I went there. Which, of course, has precipitated a relisten to ALL the KA Colorado/Denver books. So...yeah. Here I am. Because...Hawk!

2019 review: So...the final book in the Chaos MC series arc is out. I have it on my Kindle and Audible app. I don't want to read it because...the close of a well-loved (and reread) series! It's been a year since i did the whole companion series thing--at least the Dream Man and Chaos. To stave off the inevitable, I'm going back to the beginning. No, not with the whole Rock Chick series, but to the beginning of Tack, and his cameo in MYSTERY MAN. Of course, I get all the goodness that is Hawk and Gwen, too. So...all the feels.

2018 review: So...I was in a reading slump where nothing quite...fit. Like when you retain water and those low-rider jeans emphasis the pooch instead of hide it and your feet swell and those FABULOUS leather boots you snagged on sale pinch. Yeah, a slump like that. In scrolling through all of my libraries--hard copy, digital, and audio, I stopped on this one. It had gone on sale on Audible and since it was on my wish list, I'd snagged it. I thought to myself, "Self, let's reread this one." Well, listen to it anyway. Kate Russell did a good job of narrating. She "gets" Kristen Ashley's voice. And you know what? I was EXACTLY in the mood for a screamingly bossy, take-no-prisoners ALPHA MALE. Like Hawk Delgado. I LOVE to read and write this kind of hero and I'll be damned if I apologize for it. So, if you crave beta heroes (nothing wrong with them but not my catnip when I want to get lost in the fantasy of a romance), this book, this series, and Ms. Ashley's books won't be the books you are looking for. Just keep walking. Still a solid 4.5 stars for the same reasons as the first time I read it.

[2nd read] After rereading the Chaos MC series and specifically MOTORCYCLE MAN, I had to go back to reread MYSTERY MAN. Because...HAWK!!!! And of course, that led to a reread of ROCK CHICK #1 because LEE NIGHTHORSE!!! So yeah, I'm easy. LOL

Original review: *FLAIL* How have I not read Kristen Ashley, and specifically her Dream Man series before this? Because I'm an idiot obviously. I totally enjoyed this book, laughing out loud, chewing virtual nails (I haven't physically bitten my nails since college some *koff-ty-years-koff* ago), and wanting to alternately Gibbs Slap™ the hero and heroine and hug them tight. If language and sex offends, don't bother, but you're missing out on the fun. I have to give it a 4.5 instead of a full 5 because the forgiveness was a little too easy on both sides. I needed a little more groveling and fighting before the HEA and it's an awesome HEA. FYI, I first checked this book out of the library and then ended up buying it and the rest of the series. Yeah. It's a keeper!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery Man.

April 23, 2014 – Shelved