Lisa's Reviews > The Snow Child

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Apr 23, 2014

bookshelves: books-i-own, fiction, favorites, literature, botm-reads, botm-suggestions
Read 2 times. Last read March 11, 2017 to March 19, 2017.

Review From March 2017:
It's official, this has become a favorite. And I found that actually reading this in print was a better experience than listening to it on audiobook. There's something about the flow of the writing that just grabs at you and won't let go.
Overall, the best way to describe this story is that it's hauntingly beautiful. It's sad yet bittersweet, mournful yet elegant. It's a tale of grief, change, love, and acceptance. It's a story with strong female characters and a unforgettable writing style.
This is definitely an ideal book for book clubs and anyone who loves fictional stories with a hint of magical realism. Highly recommended.

Review From December 2013:
The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey
★★★★

Synopsis: Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.
This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.
In A Sentence: beautiful and sad.
What I Liked: This story had a lot going for it. I enjoyed how it was a fairy tale retelling and how you feel for the various characters.
What I Didn't Like: I thought it was a bit slow in places, but otherwise it was nice.
In a Nutshell: I'm glad I read this. It was a nice story that was both beautiful and sad. You want everything to turn out all right, but you know that the ending is going to be a sad one. Nicely done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Child.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Eowyn Ivey
“We never know what is going to happen, do we? Life is always throwing us this way and that. That’s where the adventure is. Not knowing where you’ll end up or how you’ll fare. It’s all a mystery, and when we say any different, we’re just lying to ourselves. Tell me, when have you felt most alive?”
Eowyn Ivey, The Snow Child

March 11, 2017 –
page 104
March 13, 2017 –
page 194
50.26% "I've forgotten how fantastic this story is! It's even better on the re-read."
March 16, 2017 –
page 258
66.84% "I like the quote at the end of the chapter I just finished:
"we never know what is going to happen, do we? Life is always throwing us this way and that. That's where the adventure is. Not knowing where you'll end up, or how you'll fare. It's all a mystery, and when we say any different, we're just lying to ourselves. Tell me, when have you felt most alive?""
March 19, 2017 – Shelved as: books-i-own