marlin1's Reviews > Losing Kate

Losing Kate by Kylie Kaden

Apr 22, 2014

bookshelves: netgalley

I don't know how to begin this review. This book was compelling, mesmerising, I couldn't put it down and I totally felt for Francesca (for Fray/Frankie), Jack and even Kate.
It begins in Year 12, Frankie and Jack have been best friends since early childhood and Kate comes to the school as the new girl. They strike a friendship and Kate is everything that Frankie wants to be, striking, confident and exciting...and she also has Jack, to the point that Frankie often feels on the outer.
Kate disappears in a tragic accident while on a beach camping trip with friends to celebrate schoolies and nothing is ever the same again.
Thirteen years later Frankie is still living in the same suburb, in a dilapidated old house in need of love and attention. She is observing an auction of land next door and is taken aback to see non other than Jack and family purchase the block. It seems he is now a father to young Oli and partner to Sarah who has her own problems.
Frankie and Jack fall back into their old friendship, which he initially plays down to Sarah but really, Kate is always there between them.
The story is told in flashbacks from Frankie's point of view between the night of Kate's disappearance and present. The story gradually unfolds as Frankie learns and comes to know the truth of Kate's disappearance and she can finally move on.
Even with the flashbacks, the story was easy to follow and Kate came alive for me when I understood the type of person she was and I felt for Frankie and Jack and all the untold truths that adults and others kept from them, which prevented Frankie having the closure she needed.
I will certainly look for the authors next offering.
Thank you to Random House for the eARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing Kate.

Started Reading