Ch_jank-caporale's Reviews > Locomotion

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

U 50x66

bookshelves: poetry

Lonnie Collins Motion- LoCoMotion- remembers dancing with his mother and his sister to the locomotion song. He remembers the tinkle of his mother's laughter and the smell of her Hibiscus talc. He remembers his mother and father who were the heart of his home, and his sister, Lili, who nows lives in a different world.
Poetry is such a good vehicle for telling this story. Lonnie recalls sweet rememberings, the nightmares of the fire that destroyed his previous life, the rare and all-too-short visits with his estranged little sister, the brutality of the Group Home, and the meager understandings and countless insensitivities of his teachers and classmates. No one can understand what he's going through. The poem forms change as the memories emerge, and as the voice of the poet gains control of his craft and control of his grief.
I listened to this book on CD. Sometimes hearing the verse adds to the experience; other times, I want to hear them in my own voice. I liked hearing this book both ways- in print and on CD. I've borrowed the sequel, "Locomotion, Peace" and can't wait to devour it, too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locomotion.