Amber ~ The Reading Addict's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

There are so many things I like about this book. I don't even know where to begin. Let's start with character development, since that is incredibly important to me. Lena and Ethan are two of the deepest characters I've ever read about. I loved that they were actually ORIGINAL, not just come copy of an "Edward" or "Bella" like so many others. Don't get me wrong, I love Twilight, but there are just too many dark, mysterious new guys showing up in fictional high schools. This time, Lena was the new mysterious person. She is such an intriguing person, and her personality is enough to keep anyone reading, even if you hate the story (which I doubt).

Same with Ethan. At first, I was disappointed to learn that the main character was a guy. I usually have a harder time bonding with the main characters if they're not girls. No such problem here- Ethan is the best friend every girl wishes she had. He might not be slick or sexy, but you learn to love him for who he is.

I have always loved mysteries. My mom got me hooked on Nancy Drew books in third grade, and I've enjoyed a great mystery ever since. I've become pretty good at solving them, too. At least, in some books. I wasn't able to predict anything in this novel. The authors kept throwing new clues at me, and I was thrilled to begin piecing Lena's story together. Just when I thought I'd figured it all out, something new would shatter my theory. Don't you just love a story that keeps you guessing?

The ending was incredible. Not what I expected at all, but very appropriate and wonderful. Sometimes, books are good up until the ending, when everything goes wrong. Not the case with Beautiful Creatures.

The first night I read this book, I was up until one in the morning. I kept trying to sleep, but I always ended up switching the light back on and starting the next chapter. It was just too tempting. That's what this book is- addictive and tempting. You won't regret reading this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.

Started Reading
January 5, 2010 – Finished Reading
February 28, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kelsey I also have a problem bonding with male main characters, and that's why I put this one off for so long. I'm glad I finally gave in, though!