Liza Wiemer's Reviews > The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

3152001

bookshelves: real-book-challenge, received-from-the-publisher, arc

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is magical realism, one of perhaps two I have read in a list of over 600 books since 2010. In other words, I haven't read a lot of novels in this genre. It was strange and different and enthralling. I definitely was pulled into the story of Ava Lavender, a winged girl born to a "odd" family. Walton does a great job giving readers a family history, filled with wondrous occurrences and plagued with sadness.

There are many metaphors and life lessons to be extracted from this novel. One of which is to accept or embrace your uniqueness. Love and the perils of love is another theme—choose wisely to whom you give your heart.

Highlights:
Ava's family history and ghosts.
Henry, Ava's non-winged twin.
The bakery.
Gabe!
Rowe!

I deeply appreciated the opportunity to suspend logic and go for this ride in magical realism. Ava was a remarkable character and I was able to visualize what she would have looked like with her useless wings. The bakery scenes with the textures and scents had me drooling. What an imagination Leslye Walton has! The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is a wonderful challenge for readers who want something different, something out of the ordinary. Mythical, magical, wondrous, unique.

Thank you so much, Candlewick, for the ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender.

Started Reading