Rosie Amber's Reviews > An Englishwoman's Guide to the Cowboy

An Englishwoman's Guide to the Cowboy by June Kearns

It's 1867 and 9 people are squashed inside a stagecoach as it beats it's way across the hot dust of Texas. Inside are English trio Annie Haddon, her cousin Charlotte and Aunt Bea. In true British aristocracy style the ladies are broiling in their layers of clothing, gloves and hats, but it is against strict etiquette to be seen in anything less.

The white man is sweeping across the states of America, bringing it's railway and forcing the native Indians out. Tensions are high and stages coaches easy targets. When the stagecoach crashes in a typical hold up, Annie if left for dead. That is until Colt McCall rescues her.

With an Irish father and a Sioux mother, Colt has had a tough life. He learned to fight hard to get where he is today, he respects the Comanche Indians and hates the way that money and greed of the white man is killing off a way of life. Yet he's not safe from either side, he's a wanted man by the army, and he hasn't much time for a prim and proper English lady.

In the time it takes to get Annie back reunited with her relations at Fort Mackenzie, she learns to like much of the wildness. Stupid and feisty, causing endless trouble for McCall, she'll stick up for what she thinks is right, making mistakes but earning respect along the way.

I really enjoyed this book, a fan of the old cowboy movies, this book took me back to the old stories about the wild west, with an old fashioned romance. I felt I was watching a movie again and half expected Calamity Jane to walk on set at any time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Englishwoman's Guide to the Cowboy.

April 22, 2014 – Started Reading