Elizabeth Weltin's Reviews > Moloka'i

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Nov 15, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: couldn-t-finish

I had high hopes for this book. Living in a Polynesia I was excited to learn more about what Hawaii was really like before it was a $1000 or less vacation, especially the aspect of the leper colony on Molokai.

Unfortunately, the writing was very flat. The author is a LA screenwriter and you could tell. This would have been better if written by a Hawaiian I think. Someone who knows what it feels like to live in the tropics day in, day out.

I was also disappointed by the story of the leper colony. It just seemed to have been cuted up and a regurgitation of facts. When the lighthouse was built. When they got electricity, etc.

I think this was a good concept and it would have done better in another's hands.

I rarely don't finish books, but I couldn't finish this one. I was just not captivated by the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moloka'i.

November 15, 2007 – Shelved
Started Reading
December 21, 2007 – Shelved as: couldn-t-finish
December 21, 2007 – Finished Reading

Melissa Long The whole time I was reading the book I was thinking it was so talkie and read like a screenplay, never really bringing you into the moment. Now I know why!

message 2: by Bev (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bev Putnam Just couldn't feel it either.

Jasmine No emotional attachment to any characters for me. Couldn't even finish the book

Kaile I'm a native Hawai'ian and I felt very emotionally connected to the book and like it was done well.