Leah's Reviews > Captain Wentworth's Diary

Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange

19293522
Apr 21, 2014

bookshelves: fiction

I enjoyed this "diary" from Amanda Grange more than the Mr. Darcy diary. I did not care for the shallowness of Wentworth in the beginning, as he is only concerned with pretty ladies and nothing more than passing amusement. As in Persuasion he is so drawn to depths of Anne and her character, it seems a little off to portray Wentworth as a shallow man until he is so taken by Anne. But that's just me. I understand the allure of the superior woman being the "making" of a good man, but that's just so humanistic. I want a Wentworth who is worthy because of his character as a man, not because Anne makes Him better, but because they are two souls who are above the shallowness of their wealth obsessed culture setting. I did appreciate he character growth of both He and Anne showed in this book. It was clever to try and imagine the setting up of their passionate love for one another. In some senses it seemed rushed. It seemed so ordinary, and yet thats what endearing about it. It is not a spectacular riveting adventure, except of two hearts falling in love.

I enjoyed the range of emotions Grange put into his diaries. His anger, pride, and resentment were put forward well, to the point I am shaking my head at him for his foolishness! Good job Grange. The love, the tenderness, the regret, it was well displayed. Her diary was not consistent, as it wavers between written accounts entry style, to full blown conversations. But what more could you expect when trying to spring board of their fantastic writing if Jane Austen? We want more Austen, and we want inside the heads of Austen Men. *grins*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Wentworth's Diary.

April 21, 2014 – Shelved