Lisa Kay's Reviews > Nothing To Lose

Nothing To Lose by Christy Reece

Nick’s raven tattoo?

★★★★½ “Holy heart failure, Batman!” Why have I never read a Christy Reece book before? This one kept me up until the wee hours reading.

What a wonderful first-in-series Romantic Suspense. Kennedy O’Connell’s story starts out with a ton of sadness, and I knew it going in. So, I tried to distance myself from her character at the beginning – at least until her hardships were over. Didn’t work! I ended up with a tissue to my eyes anyways.

Both Kennedy and Detective Nick Gallagher were well developed, extraordinary characters and Grey Justice was fantastic. (Although, he remains a man with plenty of secrets; hopefully, to be revealed in later books in this series.) There is a ton of action here and the story flows beautifully, which was great, because I couldn't gobble it down fast enough. After all, I needed to find out what happened! It is a delight to read a novel that is so well written and edited it doesn’t pull you out of the world, but sucks you in. Deeper and deeper.

Ms. Reece does a nice twist here in that you know who the villains are - but then again, you don’t. And how are the good guys going to triumph over such a sinister misuse of power and wealth? The secondary characters are well-drawn, too. Loved Irelyn; I can’t wait to get to her story.

The book spans about a two-year time period and it is all well executed and perfectly paced by the author. I enjoyed their journey to justice, the suspenseful ambiance, the excellent dialogue. The character development continues through the book, the experiences change them; past incidents and tragedies bring about their commitment to their cause and their determination, making it all believable. As they get to know one another, you get to know these characters along the way, and they – and their love story – are worth knowing.

Can’t wait for the next in the series!

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Doing so did not influence my rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing To Lose.

April 21, 2014 – Shelved
June 3, 2014 – Shelved as: tons-of-tears-b4-hea
June 3, 2014 – Shelved as: character-widow
June 3, 2014 – Shelved as: xyzcover-cityscape
June 3, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Say what...You've never read Christy Reece?! I didn't know she had a new series, but I've read her other books and she is awesome. So glad you found her LK and great review!

Lisa Kay I know! It seems like I should have read something of hers, Karla, but I can't recall anything. I really enjoyed this one. Looks like the start of a great series.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill First CR??!! She's great, although I've not had time recently to read her. Glad you enjoyed it, Lisa Kay!

Lisa Kay Jill wrote: "First CR??!!"

I know! I've been living under a rock. LOL!

Jonetta Lisa Kay, you've got to read her Last Chance Rescue series. Pretty awesome. I don't have many but Christy's an auto buy author.

Lisa Kay Alright, Jonetta. I'll check it out.

Anne OK I'm so glad you discovered Christy's books! She's my favorite romantic suspense author. The second book "Whatever It Takes" comes out Monday, January 25th. I was a lucky beta reader and it's a great read!