Carrie's Reviews > 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up

Feb 26, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: z-2010, information-sciences, chapter-books
Read in February, 2010

This is a lot of fun to browse through -- beautiful full page color covers interspersed throughout, well written reviews, and it's arranged by age level, from 0-3 years to 12+ years (with indexes for author and title.) They've included a lot of classics from the 1800s and early 1900s, as well as decent number of titles from outside the United States and Britain. The reviewers note potentially problematic language for contemporary audiences about race in the context of the book and when it was written for Huckleberry Finn, Little House on the Prairie, Tintin, etc.

But then I got to the last section, the books for ages 12+ and and started realizing that there were no GLBTQ titles. Apparently Cirque Du Freak makes the list, but Annie on my Mind doesn't. No David Levithan either. I don't want to say there wasn't a single title, because there are about 800 titles I haven't ever read, and no subject index, but there was a decided lack of titles, let's put it that way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up.