Joe AuBuchon's Reviews > The Dragon Never Sleeps

The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook

Apr 20, 2014

bookshelves: military-sci-fi, science-fiction

"He lies ever upon his hoard, his heart jealous and mean. Never believe he has nodded because his eyes have closed. The dragon never sleeps." --Kex Maefele, speaking to the dire Radiant

So opens Glen Cook's tale of a self-perpetuating human military society. The Guardships have solved the problem of succeeding generations losing the idealism of a founding generation -- memories are periodically recorded and impressed on a new clone when the original dies. When an individual of sufficient merit retires/dies, his or her memories are uploaded to the Guardship (and to Starbase) where they electronically continue to live. Should the Guardship be destroyed, it is re-created by Starbase along with its original crew.

The Guardships have guarded the human empire (Canon Space) for some four thousand years, but change is coming. Humans, artifacts (genetically engineered clones) and aliens, from within and outside Canon, have teamed together to overthrow the Guardships. Interstellar war on a grand scale forces change, in some cases long overdue, on the Guardships and Canon.

The story centers around:
The Guardship VII Gemina and two of her crew: Hanaver Strate and Jo Klass;
House Tregesser and Lupo Provik;
Aliens: Kex Maefele, Amber Soul and Seeker and the artifact, Lady Midnight.

There is plenty of action, intrigue and character development.

I have read this book a couple of dozen times since I got it back in 1988 (yes, my paperback copy has begun to fall apart) and found something new each time.

My biggest disappointment is that Cook never wrote a sequel.

Yeah, I'm writing this brief review because I just finished re-re-re-reading it yet again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Never Sleeps.

Finished Reading