Grace's Reviews > Love Comes Calling

Love Comes Calling by Siri Mitchell

I was very excited when I got the opportunity to review Siri Mitchell's latest novel, so I signed up right away. Then I waited. And waited. Waited. Love Comes Calling refused to call on me (forgive the pun). That is, until I found out there had been a mix up in shipping the book out of the warehouse to reviewers. At last, though, it arrived. I couldn't help myself. Though I had other books I needed to read to review, I skipped the to-be-read line and went right to Love Comes Calling.
At first, I was a wee bit confused as to how the back cover blurb tied into the story I was reading. Ellis and Griff's relationship was different than I thought it was going to be. I was under the (misguided) impression that he worked at the telephone company. Not so. After I figured out what was going on, though, I really got into the story. Ellis's character was really fun to read, though she frustrated me at times with her lies to herself and family, as well as broken promises. I enjoyed that Siri made her character unique, in that Ellis has ADHD, though that is never stated by any of the characters in the book. It was intriguing to see how Ellis handled this aspect of herself and how those around her reacted to her. This book is also set during Prohibition. Siri tackles the question of whether people's morality can be governed by law, and if it even should. So if you would like to learn a little something about Prohibition and the feelings of people at the time, Love Comes Calling would be a great read.
As I came towards the end of the book, I was so ready for the spiritual tie-in I was sure was coming. Ellis struggles with being good enough for those around her, but instead of Ellis learning for herself that God makes her adequate, the book ends with someone else expressing to her that she's good enough for them. So that was a let-down for me. I was looking for something with a more obvious message, I guess, and that just wasn't to be found in this book.
If you're looking for a peek into the Prohibition era, the Roaring Twenties, and the famous Hello Girls, then Love Comes Calling is a book that you're going to want to pick up.
I was given a review copy of Love Comes Calling from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group, in exchange for an honest review. I received no monetary compensation for my review. The opinions expressed are solely my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Comes Calling.

Finished Reading