Shorty's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

Feb 26, 2010

bookshelves: 1990-1992, 1994-2000, 2005-2010, 2017, all-time-favorites, audiobooks, ebook, owned

This book has been reread many, many times in my lifetime. This is my first review.

I don't remember the first time I'd read The Stand, but it had to have been soon after it came out in paperback. Sometime around high school, or soon after. I've reread it every 2 or 3 years, ever since.
The audiobook version is a treat in itself. The narrator is Grover Gardner, who sounds almost exactly like one of the main male characters in the novel. He was very good at all the different voices, and especially Randall Flagg's insane giggle, which seriously freaked me the hell out. If you haven't already heard the audiobook version of this novel, I highly recommend it. The only issue with it is it's length, which I didn't mind, but it might be difficult for others with less listening time to finish before the book becomes due back to your library.

Anyway, listening to the audiobook helped me concentrate on what was happening much better than just skimming through it while reading. I picked up on a lot more little things this time, and that was cool. I also cried again a few times, near the end. If you have read this novel, then you know where I'm talking about.

Another 5 stars, as it never seems to become dated or boring, in any way. And very highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

Quotes Shorty Liked

Stephen King
“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window.”

Stephen King
“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”

Stephen King
“Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.”

Stephen King
“The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there...and still on your feet.”

Stephen King
“People who try hard to do the right thing always seem mad.”

Stephen King
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.

Or you don't.”