Onyx's Reviews > Bran's Story

Bran's Story by Maculategiraffe

bookshelves: m-m, twisted-as-fuck, fantasy, free-or-prime-lendable, sociopaths, so-wrong-its-right

Haha, what in the glorious fuck did I just read? A wonderfully debauched erotic slavefic, that's what. For those of you who don't know, I'm easily offended by slave stories (or other relationships with extreme power differentials) that parade as HEA romances. Not the case with The Slave Breakers!! This story walks a fine line, and it does so splendidly.

In this completely twisted society, chronic runaway Bran is sold to the family business Jameson and Larssen Slave Training and Retraining, where Alix and Holden, his new masters, slowly repurpose him as a docile sex slave. Aided by some great supporting characters through a series of sexy "training" sessions - and with the help of few hilarious confrontations - the author writes a fun, ridiculous, deliciously fucked-up erotic novella.

The world building here is exquisite, from the pseudo-Russian nomenclature to the hierarchical social strata. The characters are equally intriguing and flawed, their web of relationships at once touching and deplorable.

My one gripe? It didn't go far enough. I would have appreciated a bit more bitter in the sweet - because there was plenty of fluff. It could have been more layered and I wish it explored the dichotomy of using affection to hurt/break someone (like in The Last Rebellion). This is the fluffiest mind-fuck I've ever come across. At one point the family is described as "a three ring circus," and isn't that the truth! No one in this family can even imagine the words 'healthy relationship.' Oh, this is a mind-fuck to be sure: a strangely non-violent, unapologetic Stockholm Syndrome slavefic love story.

Warnings if you don't like menage, polyamory or vaguely incestuous love affairs. Fuck it, in this universe, bring it on.

**Thanks to KatieMc for the recommendation!**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bran's Story.

April 19, 2014 – Started Reading
April 19, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 25, 2014 – Shelved as: free-or-prime-lendable
September 24, 2014 – Shelved as: sociopaths
January 10, 2015 – Shelved as: so-wrong-its-right

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

KatieMc Fluffy mind fuck! That's the ticket.