ME's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

bookshelves: margaretward-childrenslit

My People by Langston Hughes (2010 Coretta Scott King Book Award recipient) Illustrator Award Winner
This book is a brief thirty-three word tribute poem by Langston Hughes. It has wonderful sepia photographs of Black Americans of every age and varying skin tones, mixed in with the text. The photographs depict happy, hopeful people. But, the photos shows each person as individuals.
Text-To-Self The text speaks to how beautiful “his people” are. The text reminds me that each one of us is part of a larger group with many similarities and yet, all of us have many stories within us. The photos make me think how I perceive my family’s old photographs, especially when I am scrapbooking and want to choose the “best pictures”. It makes me smile to see the happy faces of my family and ancestors.
Text-To-Text This book reminds me of the poetry of e.e. cummings and Robert Frost, simple yet eloquent.
Text-To-World In a world full of dissention and war, I like to believe, in my own Pollyanna mind, that all people are inherently worthy to be on this earth. That people are just people, no matter race, culture or ethnicity. All of us have problems and obstacle to overcome; and as different as these problems and obstacles are, we just want to live and let live and love our families. We want to make a good living and give our children love as well as the fundamental things in life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

April 19, 2014 – Started Reading