Neal's Reviews > Norse Code

Feb 25, 2010

liked it
Recommended to Neal by: Jason Lundberg
Read from February 25 to March 01, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I found Norse Code to be a very interesting and quick read. This book is just the kind of thing I like when traveling. Norse Code is the story of Norse mythology, specifically Ragnarok, that happens in modern day. The primary point of view is Kathy Castillo, an MBA student that was murdered and brought back as a Valkyrie, renamed Mist, and assigned to recruit soldiers for Odin's army via the NorseCODE genome project. She's part of the Asgardian system, but still new to most things so we learn through her eyes. Along the way she meets Hermod, one of Odin's sons, and tries to get his help trying save her sister from Helheim. However, they find out that Ragnorok is just around the corner so everything is about to hit the fan and they need to figure out which side they're on.

I loved how Van Eekhout obviously knows his Norse mythology very well. The the scope of this story was a bit too ambitious for the size of the book. It didn't 'feel' epic enough for the major events that took place. But I still loved the idea and how well Van Eekhout wove the myth and modern aspects of the story.

I give this a 3.5 out of 5. Worth your time and money but not an all-time favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norse Code.

02/25/2010 page 13
02/26/2010 "Very interesting so far."