Miriam's Reviews > Her Desert Treasure

Her Desert Treasure by Larie Brannick

bookshelves: suspense

***Received from Entangled Publishing for an honest review***

Meg wants to honor her grandfather John by building the living classroom they'd dreamt of on the land she inherited from him. Jake wants to remember his good friend and develop a wild horse refuge...where Meg wants to build her classroom.

This story doesn't rush the development of Jake and Meg's relationship. They aren't falling into bed in Chapter Three or professing their love by Chapter Eight. It grows throughout the story, and includes both facing their pasts. Meg's is sad, filled with death, loss, and abuse. Jake's is filled with regret. Meg is stronger because of her past and she is constantly butting heads with Jake over her safety when she's out in the middle of nowhere. Jake hasn't fully accepted he has nothing to regret because what happened wasn't his fault, and it shows up big time with Meg. In those moments when he's doing his damnedest to protect her, he's persistent and pushy and annoying. I get it. They don't know each other very well and this is all part of the learning process, but I found myself wishing he had a little more faith in her than it seemed he did.

I liked the mystery surrounding the man who filed a petition against Meg, blocking her from the funds and permits she needed to build the living classroom. Glimpses of his POV hinted that he knew her, but Meg's past didn't line up with this man at all. He wasn't an abusive ass looking to control her. He was an ass looking to kill her. The eventual revelation that she knew him was a total shocker, and completely explained why he wanted to kill Meg.

Everything for Jake and Meg fell in place when it should have, making this story easy to read and easy to follow. I appreciated Ms. Brannick's knack for suspense. She wrote it well and worked it to no one's advantage, which made it a success in surprising this reader when the mystery was finally solved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Desert Treasure.

April 15, 2014 – Started Reading