Ash's Reviews > First Family

First Family by David Baldacci

liked it
bookshelves: quite-the-tangled-web-we-weaved, ridiculously-fast-reads

Plot-wise, David Baldacci's First Family is very good. Baldacci was able to tie and connect the strands between the kidnapping of the President's niece, Willa, and the kidnapper, Sam Quarry. the Quarry narrative, at times, seem to go on and on but there was depth there and an incredible and sad reasoning to his motives. He was an honorable yet broken man destroyed by people in power who did not care.

The secondary plot involving old wounds with Michelle was satisfying as well. It ended an arc that was established in the last King and Maxwell book, Simple Genius.

What I did not like, spoliers a-coming, about First Family was King and Maxwell becoming an item. Ugh. It just kind of ruined it for me. First, I have to put up with Maxwell being mentally unhinged and now this? I know Baldacci has been hinting to this but I was hoping he wouldn't go there. It just seems so predictable especially for a series that started out so strongly.

Baldacci does a great job creating a dark political arena. The people in the higher echelons of power didn't get through tenacity alone. They clawed their way and, sometimes, killed their way to the top. The greatest leaders are not neccessarily great people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Family.

April 18, 2014 – Started Reading
April 18, 2014 – Shelved
April 21, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 25, 2014 – Shelved as: quite-the-tangled-web-we-weaved
April 25, 2014 – Shelved as: ridiculously-fast-reads

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Anish The president's blunder was clearly evident right from the beginning. This book was unnecessarily long for a simple story of corruption. It should have taken only 300 pages. I managed to finish this only because of Baldacci's powerful thinking.