Connie's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell from the Sky

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow

Recommended to Connie by: goodreads friend; USA Today; Bookmarks mag

It's been 3 days since I finished this book and I can't get it out of my head. The tragedy involving the main character is devastating and just when I thought I was sure that I knew what really happened, more details came out to make me question the event and the motivations behind it. Separate from the mystery of the "event", I love the way the author presented the characters and the way each of them perceived and dealt with the racial issues - some profound and some of a more every-day nature - present throughout the book. I even learned a new definition for "lizard"! At the end, this book left me feeling sad and disturbed by what the young characters went through, but also hopeful for their future. Sequel - please?!

On a side note, I had the pleasure of attending a writing workshop held by Ms. Durrow just a couple of days after I completed the book. I can't remember the last time I felt so inspired by someone. This woman had a dream to write a book - not just any book - but a book that would make a difference in the world and make people thoughtfully consider issues of race, class, and social justice. She pursued her dream in the most dedicated and methodical (I think that must have come from the lawyer in her :)) ways, and was successful in making, and continuing to make, her dream reality.

What really got me though, was her excitement about the process and her willingness to be absolutely forthcoming about her experiences - both those from her past that she incorporated into the book and also about what she went through as a writer to reach her goal of publishing her first book. She was so warm, encouraging, and inspiring that all of us in the room were convinced by the end of the evening that we could all be wonderfully successful authors. Look out world!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell from the Sky.

February 25, 2010 – Shelved