Zeek's Reviews > The Blue Orchard

The Blue Orchard by Jackson Taylor

Feb 25, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, literary

Interesting beginning. Boring end.

I was gonna go with 2 stars, because it's a well written story but, thinking back on it, I just can't let myself. I enjoyed the references to a town I know well, Harrisburg, unfortunately the setting and time of the novel were more remarkable then the characters.

In the 1930s, Verna Krone, leaves school early in order to get a job to help support her family. The man in the family she's working for molests and eventually rapes her, and every man after that in her life, are not much better. Little wonder she ends up working for a Black doctor who secretly conducts abortions- as yet against the law. She manages to rise above her standard of living because of it, but still came off embittered by it all. Fortunately, the doctor she works for is one of the "good" ones- in that he performs the surgeries in a sterile, respectful environment.

The book is mostly a flashback on Verna's life as she stands trial for participating in her employer's illegal activities.

The book starts off interesting, as I love stories set in The Great Depression for some odd reason, but the last third of the book sure fails to engage the reader for such a passion-inducing subject.

So yeah, 1 star.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Orchard.

February 25, 2010 – Shelved
May 14, 2012 –
page 278
May 20, 2012 –
page 292
70.19% "last section of this book sure is draggy"
May 30, 2012 – Finished Reading